Aux Copy - which copy to use as source when making a 3rd copy?

Last post 08-10-2016, 6:26 AM by tallurhi. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Aux Copy - which copy to use as source when making a 3rd copy?
    Posted: 08-01-2016, 11:14 AM

Howdy,  Couldn't find specifics on this so I would like to pose it to the brain trust :)

I have several sites, each of which has its own MA and associated SP.  In general, backups are made to local disk with local DDB.  Next is a syncronous copy to our main data center using a global DDB.  Finally, we have a 3rd copy going to secondary data center using another global DDB housed at this site.

Question, when I am doing the 3rd copy, which copy should I use as the source?  I can choose either the Primary copy or the 2nd copy as my source.

Currently, the 3rd copy uses the 2nd copy as it's source, meaning that the WAN traffic will be coming from the primary data center instead of the original location....so maybe this is the only part that matters, i.e. if I wanted to choose which WAN pipes to use I could select the pertinent copy to cause the traffic to originate from one site vs another?  

Anything else I should be considering, or is there a best practice?  Does it matter at all which copy I use as the source?

Thx

--jeff

• Re: Aux Copy - which copy to use as source when making a 3rd copy?
    Posted: 08-04-2016, 9:05 AM

Hi,

The short answer is it doesn't matter. But, it would be tough to tell you exactly which one to use as it could depend on if the 2nd copy is identical to the primary or not. I think this is a fairly common decision point one has to make using inputs like you said - bandwidth between sites, whether copy 2 has the same or less associations, etc.. You might want to choose one source over the other depending on IO load on the library, if one is much more busy than the other(when you want to make the copy) it could be worth considering. Flexibility of the product is one of the best features IMO.

Dave

• Re: Aux Copy - which copy to use as source when making a 3rd copy?
    Posted: 08-10-2016, 6:26 AM

As dave mentioned you can consider either of them depending on the network and MA statistics and pick the one thats least busy.

In our setup we use replciate it to a BCP site and use a 3rd copy in the BCP site to write to tape as the BCP media agent is not doing any active backups and used for Aux copies alone it makes sense to use that to write to tapes.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy