setMediaLocation Utility

Last post 10-06-2016, 7:18 PM by AndyHengst. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • setMediaLocation Utility
    Posted: 05-09-2012, 9:23 AM

I need to move a number of tapes enmass to another storage location. Has anyone used this? It has a discalimer about not running unless you have called maintenance.

• Re: setMediaLocation Utility
    Posted: 05-09-2012, 3:25 PM

Hello,

Are you running version 9?  In version 9 if you go to the Exported Media / Media In Library and right click then select Set Location will allow you to set location for multiple tapes.

JW 

Posted: 05-10-2012, 5:38 AM

Hi,

someone else asked the question, which was my question also.

I tried it with version 8. It works even with version 8. Thanks!

Posted: 08-29-2014, 3:29 PM

Exported Media > Set Export Location is indeed handy when changing 20 tapes or so.

I have a list of 1050 tapes I'd like to change, preferably using a script. So I'm still interested in automating this.   We have Simpana 9 SP14.

Thanks

-Andy

Posted: 10-04-2016, 5:31 PM

I had success (back in Simpana version 10) using this command:

E:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\Base>SetMediaLocation -filename SML1.txt

where SML1.txt is a list of lines of this form: barcode <tab> newLocationName

Now we have CV 11 SP4 and I no longer see the SetMediaLocation.exe command.

What I will try next is described in the next link but it appears I'll need a script to call qoperation 4000 times to move 4000 tapes.  This may work but seems inefficient.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/cli/qscripts/CommServ.QS_SetMediaLocation.Readme.html

Posted: 10-06-2016, 7:18 PM

Scripting this sort of sequence....

qoperation execscript -sn SetMediaLocation -si CC1234L3 -si zzDestroyBox4Xscanned
    qoperation execscript -sn SetMediaLocation -si CC1654L3 -si zzDestroyBox4Xscanned
    qoperation execscript -sn SetMediaLocation -si CC1652L3 -si zzDestroyBox4Xscanned

... allowed us to modify Location on 750 tapes in about an hour.

qoperation.exe is repeatedly started and terminated in the process list as a result, but it works.

-Andy (CV 11 SP4)

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy