Offsite Tape Copies

Last post 10-24-2016, 7:19 PM by Brad Scott. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Offsite Tape Copies
    Posted: 10-24-2016, 4:46 PM

We are looking at going from a Tape only shop to a Disk2Disk plus Tape shop as we must have an offsite copy for DR.

We would like to:

• Run SYN Fulls weekly
    • Run Incremtals daily
    • Copy all Jobs to Tape (shipped offsite daily)
    My question is do Synchronous Copies copy the entire dataset for each Syn Full each week, or just the changed data??
    When I copy to tape, I'd like to make sure we have a copy of the entire backup set each week in case of a disaster event that would destroy my DC.   I'd like to only have to recall the most curren't week's tapes and not all the tapes from when I started doing the Aux copies to tapes?
    Hope this makes sense
    Is the Syncrhonous Copy the correct way to go to achieve this or do I need to also implement a Selective Copy to copy only the most recent Full data to Tape as well?
    Thanks
  • Re: Offsite Tape Copies
    Posted: 10-24-2016, 7:19 PM

Hi there,

Yes the Synchronous Copy will copy all backup data to tape the SynFull + all incrementals. 

If you are doing a disk to disk to tape setup though i would question why you need to put every days backups to tape. If you backup to disk then Dash Copy that to DR location then send that DR data to tape once a week you will be pretty covered. Then if you lost the primary and DR disk you would still have a RPO of 1 week (the last Syn Full on tape). 

But again all depends on your situation.

Hope that helps.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy