Indexing change in v11 further detail needed

Last post 04-01-2019, 7:11 PM by rmehta. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Indexing change in v11 further detail needed
    Posted: 11-01-2016, 2:19 PM

First, here's an explanation of my company's DR plan:

We lease a cold DR set of equipment that's only available to us once a year or when we declare an actual disaster.  In either event, my restore plan is simply to recover the CommServe by re-installing from the downloaded installer, then loading the most recent CommVault DR backup into it, then restore all my servers from tapes that I offsite daily.  

I've been using CommVault since v9 and suspect that the indexing changes in v11 will impact my procedures substantially.  I'm stumped by the online documentation regarding the index changes on v11.  I'd consider myself a technical person but the docs don't seem to say what I really need to know.

In v9 and v10, the index was always kept with the backup copy.  In v11, what will happen when I go to restore from tape if I don't have the index cache available?  Do I need a frequent backup of the index cache or do I need to change a default setting regarding backup of the index along with the data?

This doc says that the default is 1 million changed objects or 30 days, whichever comes first:  

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/index/c_v2_backup.htm#Index_Backup_Criteria

Also, are the changes in indexing in CommVault uniform across all agents or have only some of them changed?  I use all of VMware, SQL Server, and Windows File System backup agents.   

On this page it says how to check for the indexbackup storage policy.  Is a step missing?  

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/index/t_v2_config_sp.htm

• Re: Indexing change in v11 further detail needed
    Posted: 11-03-2016, 4:38 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

In v2 indexing one of the fundamental changes is the index doesn't 'age-off' the advantages are implicit there especially if you are using tape.  This being said in context of DR, what's good to do on the primary site is backup your Index Backup jobs to their own policy, so you know where the index backup tapes are when you go offsite and bring them as you would your Commserve DR tapes.  More here:  http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/index/c_v2_backup.htm

v2 indexing is limited to only the iDAs listed here:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/index/classification.htm

Also if you upgraded your clients will still be on v1, its doesn't automatically go to v2 indexing mode, only newly installed clients on your site (after upgrade to v11) will be on v2 indexing mode.

Posted: 11-04-2016, 12:22 PM

I now see that I don't have any V2 indexes yet because I have not newly installed any clients that are on that V2 index list.  

Would the index backup job only backup the V2 indexes?  

I'm failing to see the benefit but am worried about the pain.  Right now I have  about 300GB of index files, and none of them are V2 as of yet.  I thought I had more... but anyway, in the event that I need to restore only from tape and the DR backup database dump, I'll have to restore all of that before I can browse and kick off actual restores involving V2 Indexed clients, or will it be smart and only back up the V2 indexes?  

Posted: 11-08-2016, 2:29 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Correct, the index back will only get v2.

Once upgrades for v2 indexing is available, restores will use the version of index it was backed up under.  For tap backups you will need to bring the tape for the index backup or worst case the index will rebuild itself form scratch (for v2 just like v1) but it may take longer depending on the overall objects.

Posted: 11-14-2016, 11:38 AM

I'm rather curious about that rebuild itself from scratch idea.

If the index is not put with each backup job, would it need to restore the whole job, then analyse it for me to be able to do a file browse?

Posted: 11-16-2016, 4:04 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

The job can replay the transaction logs from the backup itself.

No need for it to restore the entire backup job if thats what you mean.

Posted: 04-01-2019, 7:11 PM

I keep getting alerts that Index backup has not run past 30 days. It is not self managed? 

No Index Backup in last 30 days 

We have a setup wherein the backup runs to a local MA and then the data Auxcopied to a centeral location.  So, I presume the initial index and the logs file are auxcopied automatically 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy