recopy aged data

Last post 04-25-2013, 2:59 PM by Ali. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • recopy aged data
    Posted: 12-07-2010, 10:06 AM

I have some old tapes with aged data on them that need to be copied to a new tape format.

Is there any way to do this short of restoring the data and backing it up again?

• Re: recopy aged data
    Posted: 12-07-2010, 12:44 PM

Hhello pdrace,

What version of CommVault are you running?

Posted: 12-07-2010, 12:55 PM

Posted: 12-07-2010, 1:14 PM

8.0 does not have the ability to recopy aged data. 

Posted: 12-09-2010, 1:49 PM

However, although 8.0 does not allow recopy of aged data, you can still access and restore aged data. Just ensure the media is write protected when reinserting into the library/drive to avoid overwriting as it will otherwise be automatically moved to the default scratch pool for reusage.

Follow steps described in this link (from BOL):

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/restore/aged_data.htm

Thanks,

Markus

Regards,
    MBA
    Posted: 12-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Yes I knew that. It would have been easier to copy if possible though. Smile

Posted: 12-10-2010, 2:02 PM

Seems to be better to move the tape to the OverwriteProtectedScratch

Posted: 12-10-2010, 2:10 PM

dominik khd:

Another possibility - but not supported - is to edit the
    database tables and change some records into 'not aged'.
    Since there are a lot of tables youwould have to edit
    it has to be done very carefully ! Easier is the way with the licence
    i guess.

No one should EVER do this.  Many tables are dependent on others being correct and making modifications is extremely dangerous to your data integrity.  I believe the EULA also states that if you make modifications to the database you completely invalidate your supportability.

Posted: 12-10-2010, 2:24 PM
    A fast response. I believe this is a forum ! If you would ever had been in such a situation that you have lost some
    important database entries and you need to recover your important data. It is a possibility!
    Condition is that you are able to handle databases and data models.
    For security reasons, certainly you should work with a cloned database when doing this.
    Why not a simple script from commvault could have done that for you ?
    • Thread Status: No Status    
    • Post Points: 1
    Posted: 01-26-2011, 11:30 PM

I believe the V9 software can copy to a new set of media.

In v8 the only real way to do it is to create a new sync or selective copy but that means feeding your media through to copy it from 8 to b. Time consuming stuff if you have a lot of data.

Posted: 04-25-2013, 2:59 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 02-22-2019, 10:44 AM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Good day Folks,

One option you could potentially attempt, is upgrade the v8 DB to v9, and use a built in v9 utility w/ latest Service Pack, to unage the Media.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/cli/qscripts/CommServ.QS_UnAgeJobsOnMedia.Readme.html

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy