Came across a storage policy with 31days/1cycle, what does that mean?

Last post 12-20-2016, 5:15 AM by Shahahar R. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Came across a storage policy with 31days/1cycle, what does that mean?
    Posted: 12-20-2016, 12:03 AM

New to commvault and new to the forums, and wondering if y'all could drop some knowledge on this.

I've recently started at a company that has a Commvault > NetApp Altavault > Azure setup. No tapes involved here.

I'm not 100% sure but I'm guessing everything gets stored on the Altavault device and then it's aged to the cloud. All dedupe is done via Altavault. 

There's one storage policy, and a primary rule with retention set to: 31 days/1 cycle, they do full backups every day for every server. 
    There's extended retention set on this rule (I thought you only used this with tape?) set to:
    Weekly: 45 Days
    Monthly: Infinite
    Yearly: Infinite 

For the life of me I can't figure out what's going on, I'm not sure the sys guys here know's 100% either. 

What happens if a daily full backup fails? Does that mean the cycle is broken?
    What would you suggest for retention? Should they be doing a secondary copy? 

Any help is appreciated

• Re: Came across a storage policy with 31days/1cycle, what does that mean?
    Posted: 12-20-2016, 5:15 AM

Hi,

Im not sure if I understand you question correctly but:

1) Yes. You can use extended retention on disk.

2) A cycle is full backup. There is no dependency between full backups (unlike dependency between diff/inc to full, since without the full backup the diff/inc backup are useless...). In case of Daily backup failure, the extended retention rule will select the most recent valid backup for extended retention (as configured in the extended retention rules).

3)I cant suggest retention since that's per-customer requirements. When we come to the customer for the first time one of the main questions is "How long would you like to save backups and on each media (Local Disks, Tapes, Tapes sent to Databank, Cloud, etc)?"

4) Same as mention, Secondary copies are suggest per client needs for number of copies of backup. some of my customers have 2 copies (local + weekly to tape) and some have 2 synchronized Disk libraries and 2 seperated tape copies...

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy