Failed/Killed Job Results Aging

Last post 01-11-2018, 11:27 AM by Cabby. 21 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Failed/Killed Job Results Aging
    Posted: 12-08-2010, 9:43 AM
    • mort is not online. Last active: 01-13-2016, 10:37 AM mort
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

Our Failed/Killed Jobs are agin immediatley, so if we view backup history we need to "show aged data" to be able to see them, Media Management Setting is to keep them for 90 Days, any ideas why they are aging immediately?

• Re: Failed/Killed Job Results Aging
    Posted: 12-08-2010, 10:18 AM

Hello mort,

When data aging executes any failed/killed jobs will removed from the backup history view, however they will still be viewable when "included aged data" is checked.

I believe the retention setting below is how long Simpana will retain failed/killed history when "include aged is checked".

1. If you would like to duplicate this you can
    2. start a job
    3. kill it
    4. view backup history where the killed job should be displayed while "include aged" is unchecked
    5. Run a data aging job
    6. view backup history and the killed job should not display "include aged" is unchecked
    7. view backup history again while "include aged" is checked and you will see the killed job

If you would prefer to always have "include aged data" selected by default(saves two clicks) please enable "Show aged data during browse and recovery" under Browse/Search/Recovery within the control panel

Posted: 12-08-2010, 10:25 AM
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

"Show aged data during browse and recovery" is clicked, and still we have to click advanced, and then click okay (as show aged data is already selected), for aged data to show.

"Show aged data during browse and recovery", seems to simply pre-tick "Include Aged Data", it doesn't change what is shown by default.

What I wanted was to be able to see all jobs in my selected retention period regardless of state, guess it's not possible.

Posted: 12-08-2010, 10:32 AM

Curious, when I select the option to show aged jobs on and off my aged data selection is toggled on/off by default.

Try adding this selection directly from the commcell(not a remote gui) let me know if your results are different.

"What I wanted was to be able to see all jobs in my selected retention period regardless of state, guess it's not possible."

When you view backup history and have aged data checked, is that combination providing you with desired results?

Posted: 12-08-2010, 10:47 AM
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

As an example, we have a site where we have been having hardware problems:-

default browse job history (remember "Show Aged data during browse and recovery" is selected):-

However if I select "Advanced", I can see "Include Aged Data" is selected, I just click okay and I get this.

Which is closer to what I want, but there are 3 pages of this and everything after job 60943 isn't needed for my purposes as that is the last job retained by the schedule policy retention period. All I wanted was this view but just show jobs within the Storage policy retention period regardless of state.  I know it's probably something not many people would need, but I would find it very usefull.  Not a biggy as we can carry on as we have been with the second view manually finding the last job in retention.

Posted: 12-08-2010, 11:04 AM

I see you're point and predicament now. This will require an modification request which I can submit on your behalf.

Checked version 9 and we handle backup history in the same manner Undecided.

Posted: 12-09-2010, 3:56 AM
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

Many Thanks, that would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 12-24-2010, 8:50 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 01-16-2018, 5:28 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Expert
    • Points 1,192

specifying a date range may help to filter the results when including the aged data.

Posted: 12-29-2010, 5:15 AM
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Patrick
    • Adept
    • Points 209

Yes, that would help but is missing the point of the problem.  I would have to work out and set the dates for each and every view I went to, what I wanted was a setting to make this the default view, to just show me ALL results up to and including the oldest retained copy.

Posted: 01-05-2011, 12:05 PM

SConnington:

I see you're point and predicament now. This will require an modification request which I can submit on your behalf.

Checked version 9 and we handle backup history in the same manner Undecided.

In all honesty, I can't believe more people aren't screaming about this.  The fact that I have to show aged data is rediculous!

Maybe I'm crazy, but if I want to see the client job history and select the ALL job status, it should include ALL jobs.   If I want to view only completed job history, then I should select the completed check box.  If I want to view only failed jobs, then I should be able to select the failed check box.  And when I select failed jobs, it should show failed jobs!

And to make matters worse, if you enable the "show aged data during browse and recovery", you get different results when you browse from the client level vs the subclient level!  Browsing the from the client level will show aged data (i.e. failed jobs), however browsing from the subclient does not.  It still requires you to open the advanced page (which oddly has "show aged jobs checked)!  You can reproduce the issue like this:

1. Verify show aged jobs is enabled in the control panel.

2. R Click a client and select job history.  It will show failed jobs.

3. Go to the client subclient -> r click -> backup history -> press OK.  It will NOT show the failed jobs.

4. R click on the subclient again -> backup history -> advanced -> confirm show aged jobs is checked -> OK -> OK.  It WILL show the failed jobs.

Edit: One more rant.  Why does job history only show completed or failed jobs?  What about Completed with errors, Killed, Unsuccessful, Running, and No Run?

Posted: 12-08-2017, 10:13 AM

V11 Sp9 + all available hotfix install to fix QI showing bad result and they broke that option.

Show aged data during browse and recovery is no lounguer working... so we have to do the long way around going for advance option everytime now..

Open up a ticket and they told me it was not broke but its a new feature..

The comunity didnt want that iopton anymore. ?!?!

After a few very bad communication with thme, they finnaly told me that its going to be back in sp 10..

But dont say they broke it.. they dont like that.

Posted: 12-18-2017, 3:24 AM

Same Problem here.

i cannot believe what many problems commvault has with it v11 release. i had 15+ tickets since begiining auf august.

Posted: 12-18-2017, 10:01 AM

They still insist on saying its not broking but comming directly from there docuendation: You will notice that nowhere they mention you have to click advance and show aged data... It is very anyoning from an operation point of view. 

still dont say they broke it.. i pissed them off.. But then who am i.. i am just using it since simpana 6. 

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/job_history/advanced.htm

Viewing Job History

You can view the job history for jobs that have run within a specific time range and also as per their job status. By default, the job history displays all job status. However, you can customize and view the job history for a particular job status or time range.

For Jobs Within a Specific Time Range

Use the following steps to view the job history of jobs performed within a specific time range:

1. From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers.
    2. Right-click the client and click View > Job History.

The Job History Filter dialog box appears.

1. Select the Specify Time Range check box.
    2. From the Time Zone list, select the backup time zone.
    3. Enter the time range in the Start Time and End Time boxes.
    4. Click OK.

For Specific Job Status

By default, the job history displays all job status. Use the following steps to view a particular job status in the job history of a client:

1. Under Job Status, select the status that you want to see in the job history:
    • Completed
    • Failed
    • Killed
    1. Click OK.

For Specific Jobs

Use this procedure when you want to view the job history of one or more jobs.

1. From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers.
    2. Right-click the client and click View > Job History.

The Job History Filter dialog box appears.

1. In the Job ID area, select the jobs that you want to view.
    • To view a single job, select Job ID and then type type the job ID in the box.
    • To view a sequential job range, select Job Id Range and then type the first job ID and last job ID in the boxes.
    1. Click OK.
    Posted: 12-18-2017, 10:08 AM

But my FAILED VSA AppaWare jobs are aged after ONE day and not after 90 days. This is a bug and not a feature. 

Posted: 12-18-2017, 10:14 AM

Acording to the gentlemen i talked too, it should be fix in the SP10.

Its just a fix to acomodate us.... not to fix a broken feature.

Posted: 12-18-2017, 10:21 AM

SP10 is out allready but when i remember that after upgrading from sp8 to sp9 many bugs where introduced and i clould not reliably restore,...  for one month i will nor upgrade very soon ;-)

Posted: 12-18-2017, 10:41 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 01-16-2018, 5:28 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Expert
    • Points 1,192

Can you let me know the ticket numbers that were opened for this issue? I'd like to review the issue and see if I can get a better explanation as to the killed jobs history aging prematurely. 

Posted: 12-18-2017, 11:55 AM

Thanks you for the info franzr. didnt know it was out. i've read the release note and find nothing about it... think i willl wait also but they will probably make me update to fix other issue i am curently having .. we will se :)

Liam, My ticket was 171205-627

I am just glad Compugen Casp support didnt put my last comment after the conference  call we had.. I was unappropriate :/ 

Posted: 12-18-2017, 12:51 PM

Funniest part is that commvault completed the survey for me gaving themself 4 star on ervery question... At the end of year someone is probably receiving Xmas bonus on performance Cool

Posted: 12-18-2017, 5:06 PM

Cabby,

Thanks for being open to talking to me on the phone regarding your ticket and support experience.   I did confirm internally that SP10 contains the bug fix, however as discussed we will process your incident for a SP9 hotfix so you are not required to update.  I will let you know when its ready.

Also pertaining to the survey being filled out.  I assure you we do not tamper with surveys.  In fact we embrace true survey responses (postive or negative) because it helps us target where to make improvements within our support organization.  Your case was worked on through a partner so its possible they filled the survey out on your behalf. 

I will find out for sure and get back to you.  Let me know if there is anything I can help with in the meantime.

Posted: 12-18-2017, 5:29 PM

Thanks to you. 

Really appriciate you taking the time to call me and explain everything. Looking foward for the next step and again thanks for the phone call.

its the kind of thing you guys do,  that make us like this product. 

Have a good day sir. 

Posted: 01-11-2018, 11:27 AM

Just a quick note to let you guys knows that they fixed it.

12/28 SP9 hotfix pack did the trick.

The Hotfix ID is 3502. Control Panel > Browse / Search / Recovery > "Show aged data during browse and recovery" option does not set "include aged data" by default for job history view.

I installed the SP and test it and it work like it use to. 

Great work and thanks you.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy