File recall not trying

Last post 02-08-2017, 5:36 PM by Ali. 16 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • File recall not trying
    Posted: 02-07-2017, 2:38 PM

I am testing file Archiving.   I backed up a test folder and the files inside that stubbed as expected.

All the test files are .jpg

When I attempt to now view once of these files, it sits for a couple of seconds, then I am just shown a white box with a red X in the center of it.

I am using commvault v11 sp6.    I have been in contact with support, but haven't gotten anywhere with them on this issue as well.

When I attempt to view the file that is now stubbed, I also watch the job controll in my commcell.   I do not see it even trying to do anything, so I cannot send any log files to support.

any ideas on where I can look to find out what is wrong??

• Re: File recall not trying
    Posted: 02-07-2017, 5:51 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi John,

Yes, the ClMgrS.log is typically the one you want to look at for stub recall issues in v11.  Do you see an index restore or a restore job of some kind within the controller?

Also is the client a newly installed client on v11 or an upgraded client from v10?

Posted: 02-07-2017, 5:53 PM

John, Welcome to the Commvault Forums. I am sorry to hear you are having a difficult time performing test recalls.

I am going to send you a message on the side, because I'd like to collect more information about the support case. (As well as help you out with your troubles Laughing).

Normally I see issues with the driver not being installed locally on the client or its a backend media based issue.

Posted: 02-07-2017, 5:55 PM

Support did point out that the drive had not been included at first (on the client machine).   After that I was able to archive.

Posted: 02-07-2017, 6:01 PM

Ali ----- 

This was a new client install for v11.

it appears that the client is attempting to recover the file, and I see:

"3280  1ad4  02/07 08:46:17 ### DMRAFileInfoCache::GetAFileInfo() - Tape is exported so removing cvarchive object from AfileInfo cache.
    3280  1ad4  02/07 08:46:18 ### DMRRequest::SubmitInternal(1657) - Tape is Exported for afile [272236] for source path:[2:1021709:65:272236:4460709663]
    3280  1ad4  02/07 08:46:18 ### SubmitRecallRequestToDMR(45) - Failed to submit recall request for file  : '<Masked Data>' Error :[0]"

The odd thing is, I do not see anythign anywhere saying something to the effect of "Hey gimmie tape #5"

Shouldn't give some indication somewhere that it wanted a tape??

And thank both of you for responding

Posted: 02-07-2017, 7:04 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

There should be a prompt at some level, Walter and I will have a look.

In the mean time if you could just upload a copy of the CS DB if you haven't done so already we'll take it from there.

Posted: 02-08-2017, 11:19 AM

Ok, so it seems that it is somewhat working now.  If the tape is currently in the library, I do see it say "persistant recovery" in comcell, and it will eventually display the file.

But the one issue is that if the tape is not in the library already, it does not say anything at all.  

Any ideas on that part?

Posted: 02-08-2017, 11:40 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Good point, did you get an event in the GUI "Event Viewer" that mentioned a tape was required to be put in?

Posted: 02-08-2017, 12:04 PM

My event viewer doesn't go back that far (it only goes back 14 hours)   I guess what I will do is remove the tape that I tested with yesterday afternoon...... I'll be back

Posted: 02-08-2017, 12:13 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Run an Event Viewer Report back a few days, and see if you can pick it up.  Specify it from the log file date and time stamp to be exact, this report can be quite verbose.

Once you track down this event, identify the Event Code and Description column, will let you know what we can do with this once you have it.

Posted: 02-08-2017, 12:14 PM

Ok, I removed the tapes...

In the event viewer, I see "New third party restore request recieved for client[server name], application type [windows file system]

failed to mount media with barcode...

etc, etc, etc.....

Ok, I guess it is saying that it wants a specific tape in the event viewer.   didnt' know to look there.

No i need to figure out how to make it more obvious that it needs somethign

Posted: 02-08-2017, 12:29 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Good, now what you can do is setup a custom Alert and once thie criteria is detected it will generate an email and you can be notified.

Go to Control Panel --> Alerts --> Add

Next, enter the error code and string as applicable

Posted: 02-08-2017, 2:47 PM

Working on that.....

Seems each time the event code and description is a little different.

Posted: 02-08-2017, 2:52 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Yes, it will vary depending on what gets triggered, just pickup on a generic string, common to the recall or even the client name which probably won't change.

Posted: 02-08-2017, 2:54 PM

lol   good grief....

Now i'm getting event Code  7:99    Recall limit has been reached, denying request.

Posted: 02-08-2017, 5:31 PM

Ok, I think I have it alerting now.....a bit slow, but better than no notification.

Thank you very much for your help

Posted: 02-08-2017, 5:36 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Nice! Smile

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy