change location temporary files Live Sync Replication

Last post 04-24-2017, 6:23 PM by ozzie.castillo. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • change location temporary files Live Sync Replication
    Posted: 02-21-2017, 7:02 AM

Hi all,

I facing a issue and do not have a clue how to solve other than increasing the disk.

Maybe I am overlooking something but than I also would like to know.

We have a VMware environment and are using Live Sync Replication.

Since yesterday we are facing the issue that there is not enough space on the disk of the proxy.

And here comes the challenge. This disk is the C:\ were no Commvault software is installed.

What we see is that in C:\Windows\Temp a lot of folders relate to VMware. The system has however no other relation to VMware other than it has installed a VSA-agent. So Commvault is responsible for filling up the disk. I know C:\Windows\Temp but there migth be other folders.

Is there a way to change this to another disk by an additional setting of a change in the Registry?

I know the disk is undersized, but increasing will be a hard challenge. So I hope to find an easier solution. Besides that I have no idea how much space is required to come in some kind of balance.

Danny

• Re: change location temporary files Live Sync Replication
    Posted: 02-21-2017, 8:36 AM

Some additional information

We see in the folder C:\Windows\System32 a folder "C"

It seems that this folder is used for the synchronization as we see data from the source VM's.

This folder is now 42GB

Is anyone known with this?

Posted: 04-20-2017, 9:28 PM

I'm having exactly the same issue. Only diff for me is that Live Sync is from a VMware backup to an Azure "restore". As Danny mentioned, restore folders (C:, D:, E: drives) are created under C:\Windows\System32, and eventually (quickly?) fill up the OS drive. Logged a case already, waiting for CommVault team assistance.

Posted: 04-21-2017, 2:54 AM

Hi,

After investigation I saw imgFileLvlRestore.exe writing in the C:\Windows\System32\C\ folder.

Why it did I never could find out, but now I knew it was a Commvault proces.

Checked all I could check.

Finally for me the solution was found by accident. I thought I disable one of the sync's for a VM in a schedule but it was deleted from the schedule (why can you not disable a VM???)

So I had to put the VM back and noticed that for that schedule C:\Windows\System32 was left alone.

This was for site A to site B

For the sync from site B to site A the issue was still there.

Now I deleted a VM in this schedule and added it back again and started the live sync. C:\Windows\System32 was never touched again.

Hope does the same for you.

Regards,

Danny

Posted: 04-24-2017, 6:23 PM

Thanks for the update.

I logged a case with CommVault, and it seems it's related to the fact that "Granular Recovery" is enable when backing up the VM. This is some extra info re: this behaviour:

The Live Sync replication starts, and then the logs for the job just indicate it's restoring the Index info. When you look inside the Media Agent, it's actually trying to restore the VMDKs into the ..\iDataAgent\JobResults\ folder. At the same time, it's trying to restore the File System content of the VM into C:\Windows\System32\<drive>\. In my case, the VM is running Windows, and using a single drive (C:\), so I'm seeing C:\Windows\System32\C\ growing steadily.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy