Unable to quiesce guest file system during snapshot creation

Last post 02-21-2017, 11:15 PM by jgenteman. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Unable to quiesce guest file system during snapshot creation
    Posted: 01-24-2017, 10:00 AM

Hello -

Currently there is a virtual server agent type backup job which runs on a client and I am seeing for some machines the following error (status - Partially completed) - failed unable to quiesce guest file system snapshot creation. 

I took the following steps outside of the Commvault 11 SP6 product, I took a manual snapshot of the VM in our VCenter ESXi 6 environment. Unchecked the snapshot the virtual machine memory and then checked Quiesce the guest file system (needs vmware tools installed). It still did not work and I got a quiescing error in VMware. 

I reached out to Vmware support for assistance and resolved the issue ( i can now run quiesce snapshots in VMware with the VMware Snapshot Provider service disabled) start the Windows Virtual Disk service:

1. Log in to the Windows operating system as an Administrator.
    2. Click Start, type services.msc, and press Enter.
    3. Right-click the Virtual Disk service and click Start.
    If this does not resolve the issue, disable VMware snapshot provider in the affected virtual machine:
    1. Disable the VMware Snapshot provider service in the guest operating system.
    2. Restart the Volume shadow copy service
    My only question regarding this is will commvault have an issue backing up the machine if the VMware Snapshot Provider service is disabled?
  • Re: Unable to quiesce guest file system during snapshot creation
    Posted: 02-01-2017, 7:46 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Shan, may impact restores.  

After the fix from VMWare, is it still failing to backup in CV?

Posted: 02-02-2017, 11:33 AM

After applying the fix, the backup completes successfully in CV without the following message "Unable to quiesce guest file system during snapshot creation"

Posted: 02-21-2017, 11:15 PM

Hi ShanRay,

This usually works for us although some of the VMs it will work for a few days and then revert back to quiescing errors

1. Login to VM.

2. Open services

3. Restart the COM+ Event System. This will restart 3 to 4 services.

4. After COM+ finishes, start or restart the Volume Shadow Copy service

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy