OnePass Stub size

Last post 02-24-2017, 6:13 AM by goose. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • OnePass Stub size
    Posted: 02-23-2017, 10:36 AM

Hi,

I am on CV11 SP6 and  I have run a OnePass job with archiving configured.

When i review the stub I notice that the stub is 0KB on disk, I can recall this file without issue.

Is this correct ? have CV change the stub size from 4KB to 0KB ?

Please find printscreen of stub attached.

This server is a Windows 2012R2 VM that sits on our Clarian SAN

Attachment: stub.PNG
  • Re: OnePass Stub size
    Posted: 02-23-2017, 12:18 PM

If the file is so small that it's contents fit in 1KB, NTFS keeps it directly in the file record and doesn't allocate a cluster on the filesystem. When you see a size of 0 bytes in explorer it means there's nothing allocated beyond the entry in the file record. So while the size of the stub may have been reduced its not truly "0 bytes".

Posted: 02-24-2017, 4:15 AM

so is this a Windows setting rather than a CV one ?

Posted: 02-24-2017, 6:13 AM

Also,

can I ask how are ye setting up retention for Archive.

Are you using your storage policies and then the subclient rention policies ?

If so can you give me an example of this as I am trying to comply a best practices for archive data retention.

I have read BOL and they are not great so I would rather get a user experience answer.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy