Media server de-duplication Mode

Last post 02-28-2017, 3:12 AM by taj. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Media server de-duplication Mode
    Posted: 02-21-2017, 8:26 AM

Hi Team,

What is the recommended deduplication mode we should use for the media servers in 2 sites environment. I will also perform dash copy of the backup data from one site to another and vice-versa for DR purpose.

My plan is to use Deduplication Partitioned Extended mode (Media Agent hosting DDB of two sites). Please suggest if this is the recommended way to configure media servers or I have any other option also.

The requirement is -

1. The backup continues if one media server goes down
    2. In case of DR, the dash copied DDB on another site can be used for backup/restore.
    Thank you.
  • Re: Media server de-duplication Mode
    Posted: 02-21-2017, 11:04 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Taj,

Sounds like you will need to use Gridstore along with DASH copy.

1.  Will the 2 MAs on the data center side also be writing to the same libraries?

2.  The remote site will have its own library correct?

Posted: 02-22-2017, 1:30 AM

thank you Ali for suggestion.

Sounds like you will need to use Gridstore along with DASH copy.

Please correct me if I am wrong. In gridstore option, we need to use the shared disk library between two MA servers and both the media servers will write to same disk library (example - 10 clients will use media server1 and another 10 clients will use media server2 to write on same disk library).

1.  Will the 2 MAs on the data center side also be writing to the same libraries?

As of now , my plan is to have dedicated disk library for backup. But If you are suggesting gridstor, I can plan for that also.

2.  The remote site will have its own library correct?

As of now , no remote sites. Only two Datacenters : DC1 & DC2. Each DC will have 4 media servers for local Backup. Each MA will host 2 DDBs. (first DDB for local backup and second DDB is the dash copy of another site DDB).

thank you.

Posted: 02-23-2017, 3:11 AM

any suggestions please.

thank you.

Posted: 02-28-2017, 3:12 AM

any suggestions please..

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy