Retention Time

Last post 02-28-2017, 6:12 AM by ACVault. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Retention Time
    Posted: 02-28-2017, 4:35 AM

Hello,
    i'm using Simpana 10 R2 SP12
    We have a Storage Policy for B2D with a retention time 6 days and 1 cycle.
    Now we have not enough space on the B2D storage.
    Make it sence to minimize the days eg. to 3 and 1 cyle ??
    Because one cycle = 7 days...??

Thanks
    Dennis

• Re: Retention Time
    Posted: 02-28-2017, 4:46 AM

Hello Dennis,

You are correct to assume that the DAY criteria will not affect this as you have a weekly schedule and you need to retain one CYCLE. BOTH criteria have to be met and the cycles are aging in their entirety (full and dependend incrementals).

Your better options would be to:

1. Ensure you have set proper global filters

2. Verify the data you want to protect is actually critical and you have a reason to retain it

3. Also check if the data aging should also run in the evening before your backups to ensure you have the most available space (or whenever your backups are scheduled) as this is by default only noontime.

4. Make sure you have your AUX copies running so any job that's "stuck" is going to be resolved (right click the Storage Policy Copy and check "Media not copied")

Obviously there's a few reports you should run (media retention etc.) to make sure this is all you have to action. Verify that there aren't any old backups that may be left on the disks.

I hope that get's you started.

Posted: 02-28-2017, 5:44 AM

1. What do you mean with global filters?
    3. OK, where can i set this? T think we have the default settings.

Posted: 02-28-2017, 6:12 AM

Hi again,

Global Filters are used to exclude content from backups that is "useless" for example temporary or log files that you wouldn't want to restore or that get replaced upon reboot. (Think what would happen if you backed up the swap file on a Windows machine).
    Excluding this unwanted data can speed up your backups and obviously make them "smaller"

http://docs.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/global_filters/global_filters_overview.htm

As far as the data aging goes I'm almost certain you have default settings (Simply check in the "Scheduler" window and filter it if need be).

The problem I am trying to address is simply that a day is based on 24 hours (yes I know that sounds silly:).

If a backup just meets retention at 12:00 noon time when the data aging runs, the old data will still be kept. If you schedule another right before your backups it will be pruned off, thus giving you the maximum storage available.

The easy way of scheduling another data aging is to right click on the Commserve entry on the top of the browser tree and select data aging, you can then set up a schedule in the Wizzard.

http://docs.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/data_aging/data_aging_overview.htm

Let me know if this clarifies.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy