How to backup folder structure but not files

Last post 2 hours, 14 minutes ago by mwrproxy. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • How to backup folder structure but not files
    Posted: 03-17-2017, 10:47 AM

I want to backup the folder structure of a particular Linux filesystem path, but not the files.  Is there a good way to do this?

Using wildcards to exclude "**/*" excludes both files and folders.  I believe changing this to exclude "**/*.*" would catch the bulk of files, but leaves open the possibility of including files that don't have a period and excluding folders that do.

Is there a better way to accomplish this?

• Re: How to backup folder structure but not files
    Posted: 03-23-2017, 4:36 AM

Hi, 

The simple answer is no there is not that I am aware of. But please let me know what you are trying to achieve with this so we can see if there is another way to get to your final goal.

Blaine

• Re: How to backup folder structure but not files
    Posted: 2 hours, 14 minutes ago

I ultimately went with excluding "**/*.*"  It wasn't perfect; a few MB of files are being backed up, but it worked well enough.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy