CommCell User Groups & Active Directory Integration

Last post 03-27-2017, 4:50 PM by Travis.mcm. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • CommCell User Groups & Active Directory Integration
    Posted: 03-17-2017, 11:41 AM

I am fairly new to working with Commvault and was tasked with setting up various admin groups for our Commvault system. Everything is making sense except for one thing so far. There is a group under "Security -> CommCell User Groups" that has an Active Directory group listed in the Associated Members portion of the Members tab in the properties.

Going to "Security -> Domans and Organizations" and going to External Groups I can see where the Active Directory object has been added to Commvault. When I look at the properties of the Active Directory object there, it has a User Groups tab and is associated to the CommCell User Groups object I mentioned already. However, when I create a new Active Directory group, add it to the External Groups and go into properties, I only get General, Associated Entities and Additional Settings tabs.

How can I make it to where this Active Directory object is able to be added as a member like the group that already exists? I could not find information in the documentation I have looked at. We are running Commvault Version 11.

• Re: CommCell User Groups & Active Directory Integration
    Posted: 03-23-2017, 10:50 PM

You use the "Associated Entities" tab to map user groups to the capabilities they will have in Commvault. This part of the security model changed between version 10 and 11. On the associated users tab, you can select an existing role to include so you don't have to define the associated entities manually for each user group.

• Re: CommCell User Groups & Active Directory Integration
    Posted: 03-27-2017, 4:50 PM

I ended up opening a case with Commvault to get this resolved. You actually don't map anything to User Groups anymore in version 11. If you create an Active Directory group, then add that group via the External Groups page from the CommCell Browser, the only other thing you need to do is create a Role, then assign that Role to the desired External Group from the Associated Entities tab in the properties of that External Group.

User Groups is no longer part of the equation apparently, but if there are legacy User Groups out there from version 10 or before, they will remain out there and appear like they did with whatever version they were created with. Instead of using User Groups, External Groups and Roles like in previous versions, you only have to use External Groups and Roles now.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy