Browse and Restore from specific MediaAgent while AuxCopy running

Last post 03-19-2017, 11:10 AM by Pavan Bedadala. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Browse and Restore from specific MediaAgent while AuxCopy running
    Posted: 03-15-2017, 11:06 AM

i have a storage policy with a primary and an auxilary-copy. the primary copy goes to a library on the commmserv. the auxilary copy goes to a mediaagent offsite.

when i want to restore (eg.: virtual machine files) i can select the offsite medaiagent for browsing and restore but it doesnot use it for restore even when i select it in the data-path.

i traced the problem down to the following situation:

when an auxcopy is running the browse-operation finds the backups immediately on the dest media-agent even when the media is not copied yet. so commvault falls back to the primary library when restoring.

when the auxcopy is done, everything works fine.

can someone tell me why the media is browsabel on the offsite mediaagent when the auxcopy process is still running and the media is not copied and because of that not restorable?

greetings,

Franz

CommVault 11 SP6+

• Re: Browse and Restore from specific MediaAgent while AuxCopy running
    Posted: 03-19-2017, 11:10 AM

Hello Franz

Did you select copy precedence when performing browse?

If yes, we need formal escalation to check further. Logs from CS and offsite MA are required.

If no, this is expected behavior. I am assuming in this case you just selected MA as offsite MA during browse. Doing so makes use of offsite MA, but still primary MA is used for downloading the index. So browse and restore succeeds by using any available copy. Using specific copy precedence is the right approach. 

Thanks,

Pavan

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy