exceptions to scheduled jobs

Last post 07-03-2017, 12:51 PM by Boberic. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • exceptions to scheduled jobs
    Posted: 03-22-2017, 2:57 PM

Hi,

I'm on v11 SP6 currently.

I recently discovered the unintended consequences of using the Exceptions button under Scheduled tasks. To me, if I simply want to have a single task excluded from running, I think having a one-time exception option is in order. I had been doing some troubleshooting, manually running some tasks earlier in the day than they were normally scheduled to fire off, so I figured rather than have them run again at the usual time, I'd just hit the Exceptions and forget about it. Well, I forgot about it until we noticed that the following week no jobs ran, and sure enough, there is the recurring exception.

So, what I think needs to happen when you click Exceptions is a new window asking "hey, do you mean once, every week, every month, etc." not just "hey let's exclude this task "forever" without confirmation.

The other thing I noticed which may be a new feature is no all tasks can be disabled from the main Scheduled Jobs screen, which to me, I thought used to work in v10. Some jobs can be disabled/enabled, others are greyed out. I don't get it, or I'm just having a lapse of memory, but sure seems to me that there should be an easy (real, real easy) way to just have a job be skipped for that "day" or instance in the day.

What am I missing or did something change in one of the v11 SPs?

thanks

• Re: exceptions to scheduled jobs
    Posted: 03-23-2017, 6:54 AM

Hi seabird,

why don't you use "operation windows" to achieve what you wanted ?
    You can define a Window where no dataprotection activity is allowed.

this can be done on nearly each level (ControlPanel, client group, client, instance, subclient ...)
    the definition includes a start and end time for the window.

The exception in  the schedule is more related to interval the schedule is valid for (month, week, day) and is repeated during the next interval at the specified point in time.
    You can use this to create e.g. monthly schedules with an exception for day 1. And define an additional schedule just for day 1 in your schedule policy to cover that. 
    I sometimes use this method to pin extended job retentions to certain backups, that are not matching the automatic  extended retention rule definitions possible in the Storage Policy Copies.

have fun
    Klaus 

Posted: 04-11-2017, 2:22 PM

Operation windows work sure, but I don't see why just a one time exception is that big of a deal. NetBackup can do this.

Posted: 07-03-2017, 12:51 PM

I've run into this odd behavior too.  When I'm in the calendar view of the scheduler and I click on a specific day to see what jobs are projected to run on that day, then I right click on a job and pull down "Add Exception" I'm expecting the exception to be for only that day.  

Without at least having the program say what it did I find this behavior of converting a one-time exception into a regularly occurring one problemmatic.

Since it has been that way probably a long time, I could see just adding prompts as a partial solution but if the program could have a separate pull down for "Add a One-time Exception" and rename the current option to be "Add a Regularly Scheduled Exception" or at least just add a message after it that would be an improvement.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy