Moving backup tapes between decks

Last post 01-10-2011, 10:31 AM by BILLM. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Moving backup tapes between decks
    Posted: 12-09-2010, 6:09 PM

Hello Everyone,

Quick question that has been bugging me since I was told that could not be done(in house).

Can I move tapes from one deck to another deck?

What's the best way to accomplish the task?

We are on Simpana 8 with 2 tape decks and one deck has been running low on tapes because of a longer term storage policy.  The other deck has plenty of extra tapes in its policy that could be used.

I've found one way to move them is by deleting the tape and then rediscover the tape in the destination deck. (of course after data aged off).

Thanks everyone.

• Re: Moving backup tapes between decks
    Posted: 12-10-2010, 1:47 PM

Bill,

Media that has been used for a backup and still has active data is assigned to a particular storage policy\copy can only be used by the same storage policy and copy. You cannot move media that is active and has valid data on it from one lib to another for other than a restore. It will not use those tapes for a different storage policy\copy job.

You can delete or move and scratch media from one lib to another as you have already discovered.

Thanks,

Bill

• Re: Moving backup tapes between decks
    Posted: 01-10-2011, 10:31 AM

Thanks Bill.

One other thing... should I do a "Erase Media" before the delete? Or is that not necessary because of the delete.  I just don’t want some indexing problem pop up later on.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy