Storage policy or subclient selective vm copey to tape

Last post 04-05-2017, 11:25 PM by jjbiv. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Storage policy or subclient selective vm copey to tape
    Posted: 04-05-2017, 3:00 PM

I have simpana11sp4 i use intelisnap

i want to backup Virtual storage agent VM i have 10 VM at the moment i have only one storage policy with one subclient and i want it so.

primary backup all 10 VM

secondary Backup all 10 VM

To tape only 5 of them.

montlhly to tape only 2 of them

is this possible only with one subclient and one storage policy

is it possible that i can make selective copy of vsa vm to tape. because i only see the hole subclient which can i selct.i can not select only one vm or two .

or is better idea to solve this with subclient that i make three subclients? so i can exactly group vm, daily to tape, montly to tape . and every subclient have a extra subclient?

but at the momment i have the only one subclient with 10 vm which are on two vmdatastore.

so if i made a subclient with name primary,secondary

then primary secondary,tape

primary secondary monthly tape.

should i then move the vm to the same vmstore which are in the same subclient?

because at the past i move the vm which are in the same subclient to the same vmdatastore so snaphots which are taken are minimized.

• Re: Storage policy or subclient selective vm copey to tape
    Posted: 04-05-2017, 3:28 PM

You can't selectively choose individual VMs for a secondary copy to tape from a subclient. With the VSA client, you have to think of the VMs as files content just like a file system agent has files as content. You wouldn't be able to individually choose some text file itself to go to tape from a subclient into a secondary copy to tape.

You can choose by subclient though. Just like you have setup, if you want to have one Storage Policy and in that storage policy you can have your Primary Copy to Disk and a Secondary Copy to Tape. You creata a subclient for those VMs you want to go to tape then at the Storage Policy Secondary Copy, you select only that subclient

Posted: 04-05-2017, 3:36 PM

OK thanx,

but i need primary ,secondary, and the third step is by me to tape. and because i have backup to tape is source the secondary copy i cannot select.

I think on third step backup to tape i cannot make a selection of content. so i need to do suclieent and them for each subclient a storage policy. i can clone this which i have and then i change content and with scheduler policy i can then said which step will i run . primary ,secondary allways and daily to tape or montly to tape selective.

Posted: 04-05-2017, 11:25 PM

You currently need three subclients and four storage policy copies to accomplish this. It would be cleanest if the VMs were on datastores segregated by the desired retentions, but that is not a strict requirement.

Storage Policy copies:

1. Primary
    2. Secondary
    3. Tape
    4. Monthly tape

Subclients:

1. VMs for the monthly copy to tape
    2. The other VMs to copy to tape
    3. All other VMs
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy