Transition from v9 email archiver to one pass v10, to support exchange 2016

Last post 04-26-2017, 10:16 AM by tcottrell. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Transition from v9 email archiver to one pass v10, to support exchange 2016
    Posted: 04-09-2017, 9:49 PM

Hi,

My current commserve environment is already in v10, but somehow my email mailbox backup along with email archiver still in v9. I understand that support for v9 already expired and I should upgrade to v10/v11. Since my CS is v10, I plan to upgrade to v10 first to support the Exchange 2016.

I'm planning to upgrade the v9 mailbox agent to v10, and I plan to follow the way online documentation as below:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=products/fs_archive_exchange/upgrade.htm

Any caviet or I can just follow the guide above?

My current mailbox archiver also not for every mailbox, and only for selected user. Since v10 is one pass, how can I achieved the same configuration?

regards,

Fauzi

regards,
    Fauzi
  • Re: Transition from v9 email archiver to one pass v10, to support exchange 2016
    Posted: 04-17-2017, 1:14 PM

Note that you can not convert your V9 MB Archiver data directly over to Mailbox OnePass so the V9 Mailbox Archiver agent needs to hang around.

Are all the Outlook clients updated to the latest commvault outlook addin?  As long as the addins are updated, recalls will not be a problem after the upgrade.

How are users 'filtered' for the Mailbox Archiver agent currently?  If you are already performing some sort of auto discovery, you can achieve the same results with Mailbox OnePass.  Just configure subclients you only want mailbox level backups to not have any message rules.

Let me know if you need more details here.

• Re: Transition from v9 email archiver to one pass v10, to support exchange 2016
    Posted: 04-17-2017, 10:22 PM

Hi,

So it is safe for me to upgrade the email iDA to v10, and what about the OWA proxy enabler and webproxy archiver? The classic email archiver agent I need to disable backup activity and let restore only for email recall?

The current outlook add-in is not updated to current addin. Can I update the addin after the upgrade of the iDA?

The classic/traditional email archiver use its own agent, hence from the subclient i only select certain user for the archiver, while email backup use its own agent to backup all users email.

For One Pass, how do I separate for users required archive?

regards,
    Fauzi
    Posted: 04-19-2017, 11:44 AM

Is your Commcell upgraded to V10 already with a web console/web server stood up for recalls?  Upgrading the Mailbox Archiver agent to V10 is pretty low impact so I have less concern on that side. 

Note that upgrading your OWA Proxy Enabler converts to using the 'new recall method' of going through the web console/web server so you should be prepared for that.  As noted in the documentation you should have the OnePass agent configured prior to upgrading your OWA Proxy Enabler.  Are you actually using the WebProxy?  This is specifically for remote end users who use RPC over HTTP connectivity.  It is deprecated in current CV versions.

Yes you can update the addin after the upgrade.  Would recommend doing this as soon as possible once the web console/web server are configured and you have onepass in place.  The older addins only support current stub versions though when they are updated to the latest version of those older addins.

For One Pass - just create seperate subclients.  Subclient you want ONLY mailbox backups of, do not enable message rules.  For mailboxes you do want to archive, turn on the message rules.  You can operate both mailbox and archiving from the same backupset.

Posted: 04-24-2017, 10:30 PM

Hi,

My CommCell already in v10 with web console/web server installed in CS.

If my Exchange upgrade to 2016, will the email recall still function after the Exchange upgrade? Is there any steps or requirement that I need to be aware before Exchange upgrade to 2016?

regards,
    Fauzi
    Posted: 04-26-2017, 10:16 AM

OWA recalls are totally different in Exchange 2016 so be aware of that: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=products/fs_archive_exchange/owa/deployment_remote.htm

As long as your Outlook Addins are upgraded to at least V10 you should be fine with recalls.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy