Commserve Floating hostname query

Last post 04-20-2017, 3:56 AM by pkadire. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Commserve Floating hostname query
    Posted: 04-19-2017, 12:11 AM

In a two site environment, I have planned the commserve installation using floating hostname. Production commserve in DC1 and Standby commseve in DC2. I will have 2 IPs (1G for mgmt & 10G for backup) on commserve server, media servers and all clients.

I have read the installation steps & failover steps in BOL. Below are my few queries for which your suggestion is required -

- In DNS record, which IP I should register with floating hostname. 1G or 10G ?

- Do I need to register commserve Physical Hostnames as well in the DNS for commserve failover package & SQL agent. If yes , which IP I should use.

- As per Below link, I did not understand which hostname are they : Production_CS_Failover_Instance & Standby_CS_Failover_Instance. Any IP needs to associate with this name ?

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/disaster_recovery/r_cs_failover_install_parameters.htm

Thankyou

• Re: Commserve Floating hostname query
    Posted: 04-19-2017, 2:36 AM

Hi Bhriti, 

Please find the below answers.

- In DNS record, which IP I should register with floating hostname. 1G or 10G ?

You can register the floating CommServe name with the IP address of 10G.

- Do I need to register commserve Physical Hostnames as well in the DNS for commserve failover package & SQL agent. If yes , which IP I should use.   

There is no need to register the CommServe physical host names in the DNS.

- As per Below link, I did not understand which hostname are they : Production_CS_Failover_Instance & Standby_CS_Failover_Instance. Any IP needs to associate with this name ?

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/disaster_recovery/r_cs_failover_install_parameters.htm

During the installation, user need to enter the Host Name displayed in Client Computer Information , which should be the physical host name of the corresponding machines. No need to associate any IP with it.

Please note that there is another section for entering the CommServe Host Name displayed in the CommServe Information, which should be the floating CommServe name.

Thanks, 

Prashanth.

Posted: 04-19-2017, 2:49 AM

Thanks a lot Pkadire for the response.

I understand I need to use FQDN of local machine in Host Name & floating CommServe name in CommServe Host Name. But I am referring the below name which is mentioned in the link. What is this name and which IP it should use.

Client name for the second instance.

For example:
    Production_CS_Failover_Instance

Posted: 04-19-2017, 3:02 AM

Hi Bhriti,

Client name for the SQL instance is a user’s choice, but is should not match with that of the CommServe instance (Doc Ref - Note:  Must be unique and different from the production CommServe Client Name in Instance 1.). The example - Production_CS_Failover_Instance, given in the DOC is to provide a detailed naming convention which can help the user to differentiate it from the other clients.

There is no requirement of mapping the client name with any IP.

Thanks,

Prashanth.

Posted: 04-19-2017, 3:56 AM

Thank you again Prashanth.

Correct me Please If I am wrong -

During OS installation on commserve server, I can register DNS record of physical hostname & 1G network IP to it.

During Commserve Installation, I need to register DNS record of floating hostname & assign 10G network IP to it.

Site Names which will be used during installation 1G Network 10G Network
    site1 Commserve1 (Physical Name) IP required IP not required
    FloatingCS (Virtual Name) IP not required IP required
    Production_CS_Failover_Instance (Virtual Name) IP not required IP not required
    site2 Standby commserve (Physical Name) IP required IP not required
    FloatingCS (Virtual Name) IP not required IP required
    Standby_CS_Failover_Instance (Virtual Name) IP not required IP not required

During SQL Agent and CommServe Failover Package Installation, do we get any option to install these package on instance2. (Just wanted to ensure I donot install them on instance1 by mistake).

Posted: 04-19-2017, 5:01 AM

Hi Bhriti,

It looks like, you are installing the OS also, apart from the failover installation.

There are two machines and on each machine, user will install two instances – 1. CommServe package and 2. SQL server agent.

Please follow the below the detailed documentation -https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/disaster_recovery/c_cs_failover_overview.htm 

You need enble registry key before installing the SQL server agents to get the option to install it on the second instance, please follow the below link, which will guide you through - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/disaster_recovery/c_cs_failover_sql_install.htm

Thanks,

Prashanth.

Posted: 04-19-2017, 5:54 AM

Hi Prashanth, 

Understood the registry key point to get the second instance option. Thank you for clarifying it.

I mean OS as operating system which will be windows 2012r2 standard in my case.

Kindly confirm the table which i have pasted earlier is correct ?

Do we have any single document which has the screenshots available to configure the failover correctly.

Posted: 04-19-2017, 7:20 AM

Hi Bhrithi,

Initially we need to create a DNS record with floating CS name (virtual name) -->  pointing to the 10G IP.

Please find the following table. 

Site

Names using during the installation

1G  network

10G network

Site -1

<instance001>

CommServe (instance001) client name <user’s choice>

NA

NA

<instance001>

CommServe (instance001) host name  - <Physical name of the machine.>

No

Yes

<instance002>

SQL Agent client name (instance002) – <User’s choice> Ex: Production_CS_Failover_Instance

NA

NA

<instance002>

SQL Agent Host name (instance002) - < Physical name of the machine>

No

Yes

<instance002>

SQL Agent CommServe Host name (instance002) - <floating CS name>

No

Yes

Note: Please enter the floating CS name NOT IP

Site -2

<instance001>

CommServe (instance001) client name <user’s choice BUT should be same as that entered in site 1>

NA

NA

<instance001>

CommServe (instance001) host name  - <Physical name of the machine>.

No

Yes

<instance002>

SQL Agent client name (instance002) – <User’s choice>. Ex: Production_CS_Failover_Instance

NA

NA

<instance002>

SQL Agent Host name (instance002) - <Physical host name of the machine.>

No

Yes

<instance002>

SQL Agent CommServe Host name (instance002)<floating CS name>

No

Yes

Note: Please enter the floating CS name NOT IP

Unfortunately, we don’t use screen shots in the documentation but we provide the detailed explanation in the documentation for each field.

Thanks,

Prashanth.

Posted: 04-20-2017, 2:28 AM

Hi Prashanth, 

As per the below link, we need to use floating hostname for instance1 on production commserve host. But you have mentioend to use physical name of machine ... 

Site

Names using during the installation

1G  network

10G network

Site -1

<instance001>

CommServe (instance001) client name <user’s choice>

NA

NA

<instance001>

CommServe (instance001) host name  - <Physical name of the machine.>

No

Yes

And on site2, you have mentioned the same client name which we have used in Site1. As per Link , this name should be differnt on both sites.

Site -2

<instance001>

CommServe (instance001) client name <user’s choice BUT should be same as that entered in site 1>

NA

NA

<instance001>

CommServe (instance001) host name  - <Physical name of the machine>.

No

Yes

<instance002>

SQL Agent client name (instance002) – <User’s choice>. Ex: Production_CS_Failover_Instance

NA

NA

Posted: 04-20-2017, 3:17 AM

Hi Bhrithi,

As per the below link, we need to use floating hostname for instance1 on production commserve host. But you have mentioend to use physical name of machine

1. Doc reference  - Host Name Displayed in Client Computer Information dialog box during CommServe installation - FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) of floating CommServe host. For example: CSwithDR.company.com – which means the physical host name of the machine.

And on site2, you have mentioned the same client name which we have used in Site1. As per Link , this name should be differnt on both sites.

1. That’s the reference example – you can change it to - Standby_CS_Failover_Instance

Posted: 04-20-2017, 3:30 AM

ok.

If CSwithDR.company.com is the physical hostname then what is this name Production_CS.company.com mentioned in row4/column6 under description?

Posted: 04-20-2017, 3:56 AM

Yes, You are right, use the floating CommServe name which is pointing to 10G IP.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy