Move clients to a second MA.

Last post 18 hours, 56 minutes ago by eddies. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Move clients to a second MA.
    Posted: 04-19-2017, 6:28 PM

I have a MA with an ever growing DDB. Not a Partitioned DDB, just a single DDB. It's growing too large for its local disk and I want to setup a second MA and point some clients to it for backup.  

The storage will be on the same CIFS NAS.  The storage policy will be the same. Once I point the client at the new MA, I know it will have to run a full backup to build up the DDB, but will it have to also duplicate the backup data on the NAS storage? 

Thanks for any help.

• Re: Move clients to a second MA.
    Posted: 04-19-2017, 7:15 PM

Yes, the data will be duplicated on the NAS since data blocks are never shared across DDBs (the exception is if global deduplication is in use). I think your best bet would be to create a new partitioned global deduplication policy with two partitions. You can then create a new storage policy copy pointing to that GDDB, run aux copy to copy the previous data and build up the DDB, and then promote the new copy to the primary copy so backups can run to it. The downside of this approach is it will require temporary space equal to the amount of space you have consumed on disk now and it may take a while for all of the old data to be copied. You could also create the new GDDB and move clients to it slowly so less temporary disk space will be required. I would still create the GDDB with two partitions (even if they are on the same MediaAgent to start) and then you can move one of the partitions as the GDDB grows to allow it to scale.

• Re: Move clients to a second MA.
    Posted: 18 hours, 56 minutes ago

Thanks for the great information.  That puts me on the right track. One a few more questions tho.  

How do I aux copy one subclient? I added a second copy in the existing Storage Policy. When I try to Aux copy, it wants to copy everything.  This is the end goal, but I need to do this server by server, or subclient by subclient, depending on how you look at it. 

I also need to expire the data off the primary on a when the aux copy finishes for that server, but I don't see a way to do it. 

Thanks for the great help. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy