Commserve take the APIPA IP

Last post 05-31-2017, 5:55 AM by Adhavan. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Commserve take the APIPA IP
    Posted: 04-20-2017, 6:39 AM

Hi Everybody,

We have some new problem recently. We have CV 11 SP6. recently backup gets fails some client and we are trying to solve it. I Found that the issue with communication problem.

Commvault take APIPA IP instead of actual one, but i can able to ping CV to MA to Client and vice versa. But when CV contact client gets fail. We check with windows team, they changed the preference. Actually as per exsiting setup APIPA is primary contact.

After that when run the checkrediness, CS communication gets success whereas MA communication gets fail. The most beautiful part is, backup gets success.

My gusseing is issue with port, I checked to telnet IP with 8400 (comm port) get succeed.

My qst is,

Why commserv take the wrong? is there any to manually assign a IP in Commserv 

Is there any way to find the data port for backup ( I need to ask secuirty team)

Thanks in Advance,

Mani S

• Re: Commserve take the APIPA IP
    Posted: 04-20-2017, 1:04 PM

Hi Mani,

Maybe an interface binding problem.

KB from Microsoft:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd391967(WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Samuel

Posted: 04-20-2017, 4:36 PM

The way this works (by default) is the CommServe is going to look up the client's hostname locally via host file or DNS resolution and connect to the IP to which the client's name resolves on port 8400 (CVD port). The client in turn is going to look up the CommServe or MediaAgent's hostname and connect to that IP. So, if you change the client's hostname to one of its IP addresses you are guaranteed Commvault will attempt connect to that IP. If Commvault is not connecting to the correct IP, investigate name resolution on the client and CS/MA to see what IP the remote machine is resolving to.

You can use a firewall configuration in Commvault to restrict the range of ports used for data transfer. By default all ephemeral ports are eligible to be used.

Posted: 04-25-2017, 1:23 AM

Hi,

One soilution we found that, changed the binding order in respective windows server. Earlier APIPA is primary contact and now it has been changed to secondary.

Am one more thing is, found below entry in fwconfig.txt file and confirmed that we didn't have any manual entry in Jave gui and fwconfiglocal.txt too.

<Commserve name> <client name> type=dip remote_iface=169.254.1.66 local_iface=169.254.2.169 

any idea?

Mani S

Posted: 05-31-2017, 5:55 AM

Hi,

Finally, we found a solution, it has DIP entry, removed it and now working fine.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy