DAG Exchange 2010 with multi instance - Backup error "UpdateIndex failed on MediaAgent - Index files are missing. Job could have earlier run on a different MediaAgent possibly due to a failover"

Last post 05-04-2017, 10:46 AM by csanchez. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • DAG Exchange 2010 with multi instance - Backup error "UpdateIndex failed on MediaAgent - Index files are missing. Job could have earlier run on a different MediaAgent possibly due to a failover"
    Posted: 04-21-2017, 6:00 AM

Hello all,

This is the situation:

- 2 CommServe, one in CV10 R2 SP14, and the new one in CV11 SP6

- Exchange DAG 2010, Exchange Database idata, with 2 two instances, one pointing to the CV10 CommServe and the second instance pointing to the CV11 CommServe

As part of a migration process between Commserves, we have installed the Exchange Database Agent v10 in a second instance in all the DAG members, with no problems. 

The DAG pseudoclient configured in the CV11 without problems too.

In this situation, the backup works fine for the older environment, CV10, but when we run the backup of Mailbox Databases or Public Folders sublcients configured in the second instance that points to the CV11 Commserve, the backup fails with the folowing error:

"UpdateIndex failed on MediaAgent [MA] - Index files are missing. Job could have earlier run on a different MediaAgent possibly due to a failover"

"Index update failed. Please make sure that the index cache directory is accessible, and the indexing MediaAgent services are running"

I have tested with different MAs and always the same problem. The MAs are correct, they are receiving backup data with no problems for another agents.

the only think that I am not understand is that Exchange Database backup is supported as multi instancing, but the VSS provider only belongs to one of the instances, in this case to the original instance with commVault v10. I have reviewing the CV BOKs and it's something known, the VSS only can be installed one time.

There is good communication between DAG Members and the CommServe in v11 and the MAs in V11.

It seems that CV detects that the backup for the Exchange database has been done previously and it treats to read the previous index, but this has not sense, as the backup that we run is a new Full backup from CV11, so it should create a new index in the new MA for this backup.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

• Re: DAG Exchange 2010 with multi instance - Backup error "UpdateIndex failed on MediaAgent - Index files are missing. Job could have earlier run on a different MediaAgent possibly due to a failover"
    Posted: 04-21-2017, 10:02 AM

Are you using IntelliSnap?  Hard to say without reviewing logging unfortunately.  Would need the extidbbackup.log files from the Exchange nodes along with the ExDBStartBackup.log files.  Would probably also be helpful to get the dagindexing.log file as well.

• Re: DAG Exchange 2010 with multi instance - Backup error "UpdateIndex failed on MediaAgent - Index files are missing. Job could have earlier run on a different MediaAgent possibly due to a failover"
    Posted: 05-04-2017, 10:46 AM

Hello,

Thanks for the interest in my case.

I have found the solution. It seems some kind of problem between v10 indexes and the CommServe in v11. At last, I uninstalled the instance 001 that point to the older CommServe in v10 and only left the instance 002 pointing to the new commServe and I upgraded this 002 instance to CV11.

After this the indexing problems dissapeared.

So, this was a solution for me although it does not resolve the main problem found with the multiinstance for this Agent. I think that in some way the multi instance for this Agent type (Exchange Database) was confused in any manner, perhaps by different type of indexes treatment between v10 and v11, i am not sure (for Filesystem Agents that I configured in the past with multi instance there were not problems at all).

Thanks!

Regards.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy