Sql backup: failed to impersonate error: Account restrictions are preventing this user from signing in

Last post 05-24-2017, 5:24 PM by jpeake. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sql backup: failed to impersonate error: Account restrictions are preventing this user from signing in
    Posted: 05-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Hi.

Im trying to run a sql backup but when i kick off a backup from the sub client i get the error:

Sql backup: failed to impersonate error: Account restrictions are preventing this user from signing in

The troubleshooting steps are to:

- impersonate user

-grant this user a login with sysadmin on sql server

-add this user to the admins group on the slq server windows machine.

I have done that and still get the above error. There are no details in the windows logs or sql logs so i am unsure what to try next. appreciate any help.

Thanks,

• Re: Sql backup: failed to impersonate error: Account restrictions are preventing this user from signing in
    Posted: 05-12-2017, 11:10 AM

Hi Andy:

Is it possible that UAC has been turned on (or off) without a reboot having been performed?  The current UAC settings are checked when authentication is performed.  When UAC settings are put in place, they will show up in the proper locations as soon as they are implemented by an administrator, however they will not actually be applied until a reboot occurs.  This can cause massive effects on the authentication process.  Two things:

1) Try using local system to perform the backup.  Does this change the problem at all (you may have to temporarily modify permission on SQL to allow local system SA rights to properly perform this test)

2) Reboot and try the backup again.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Tim

• Re: Sql backup: failed to impersonate error: Account restrictions are preventing this user from signing in
    Posted: 05-15-2017, 4:53 AM

Hi Tim.
    Thanks for the quick response.

I have since restarted the machine in question, but the issue persists.

I have tried using the Local System user account, but i get the same error.

Note, my sql server service is running under its own domain account, not Local System Account.

Posted: 05-15-2017, 1:03 PM

Thanks - just to verify - You are able to log into this SQL server with the backup account you have specified and get into SQL Management studio to this instance with no issues?  Also for local system - You can set the backup account as a local system on the properties of the instance.

Posted: 05-16-2017, 3:45 AM

Update - On trying agian this morning, it worked! Nothing different, except waiting overnight since the server reboot.

Would like ot know what the issue was but its no not reproducable.

Thanks for all the help!

Posted: 05-18-2017, 5:29 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 11-23-2017, 1:08 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Andy, log an incident the next time this happens, we'll need full logs from CS and Client.

Posted: 05-24-2017, 5:24 PM

we get this error when UAC is enabled on MS SQL server.  Disabling it (and rebooting) has always fixed it. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy