Linux MA File Recovery fails

Last post 05-19-2017, 11:50 AM by dandre. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Linux MA File Recovery fails
    Posted: 05-16-2017, 1:09 AM

Hello,

I want to try the file recovery for some Linux VMs.

I deployed the OVA, registered it in the commcell and selected an esxi host. I also allowed the esxi host outgoing connections

When I try to browse an VM for files, I see the following in our VMware environment:

- the exsi host get a new datastore, an NFS share from the deployed Linux MA

- a vm is created with the name of the vm i want to browse + a random string.

- the VM gets configured

- now the VM get deleted

- the datastore gets removed

- now a datastore gets mounted again

- new VM

- VM configured

- VM deleted

- Datastore deleted

- CommCell says "Browse failed due to error occured during Virtual Machine registration or Virtual Machine mount"

As there are many logfiles, which one I should provide?

I looked through logfiles on the Linux MA and on the CommCell, but could not find something helping me to detect the source of the failure.

We are using Commvault v10 SP15, the Linux MA is for this Version

Thanks in Advance

• Re: Linux MA File Recovery fails
    Posted: 05-16-2017, 8:47 AM

Hi,

Please check CVD.log on VSA proxy Machine\MA  and 3dnfs.log on Linux MA for failure logs.

Thanks,

Bhama

Posted: 05-18-2017, 10:07 AM

Hi, thanks for the info. I found in the cvd.log that commvault can not access the VMware VDDK, so i downloaded it and placed it in the correct directory.

Still not working. The progress starts, this time the vm is not deleted, but nothing happens. A restore job is in the running state, but only a few kilobytes are transferred in one hour.

Find attached stripped down log files.

Thanks in Advance

Attachment: 3dnfs.txt cvd.txt
    Posted: 05-18-2017, 11:42 AM

Interesting regarding the VDDK deadlock - VDDK should also automatically be deployed with a VSA install. Are you able to confirm the VSA proxy also has the Media Agent component installed (required for some of the live browse modules) - and also upload a copy of the VixDiskLib.log file to get more info on that deadlock?

Posted: 05-19-2017, 9:16 AM

Today the same as in the beginning of this thread, vm get deleted after reconfiguration.

I have installed the MediaAgent on the VSA-Proxies, they have the VDDK Folder without additional steps from my side.

Please find attached the cvd.log of today and the VixDiskLib.log of yesterday.

Thanks and a nice weekend.

Posted: 05-19-2017, 9:18 AM

Uh oh - don't see the attachments. Could you try attach again?

Posted: 05-19-2017, 11:50 AM

Looks like the attachements came through. I can see that the VMware VixDiskLib library is having an issue which is likely to be causing the problem. Just after we load the binaries it is crashing out.

So it seems like its having issues opening the SSL binaries (probably ssleay32.dll). There could be Antivirus or some other issue or security software preventing that from happening.

You could use process monitor and monitor CVD to see if there is anything in the stack which may be conflicting.  We may need to remove any stale installs of VDDK and look around for old registry keys.

If you can't figure it out be sure to open a support case and we can take a closer look.

3252  1ef4  05/18 14:11:47 ### VMware VixDiskLib (6.0) Release build-4888596
    3252 1ef4 05/18 14:11:47 ### SSLLoadSharedLibraries: Failed to load OpenSSL libraries. libdir is D:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\Base\VMware\VDDK
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy