Breaking out Subclients for different ESXi host

Last post 05-18-2017, 11:49 AM by dandre. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Breaking out Subclients for different ESXi host
    Posted: 05-17-2017, 8:40 AM

Currently I am running my vcenter backups by cluster. My Prod cluster is becoming to big and taking to long to backup. 

I was wondering if it was a good idea to break out new sublcients and add in a few ESXI hosts that would equal to around 50 VMs per subclient. If I do this what happens if DRS moves a VM to a different ESXI host that is on a different subclient? Will a full backup need to happen since its on a different subclient?

I read that Commvault suggest to break this out by Datastore but for me it may be better to do it by ESXI since we have way more datastores than ESXI. 

Let me know what you think thank you.

• Re: Breaking out Subclients for different ESXi host
    Posted: 05-18-2017, 11:49 AM

Hi Joe, its hard to say if this will help - it depends on where the bottleneck is. Perhaps deploying additional VSA proxies and allowign the built-in load balancing may help out. Do you have physical proxies or are you leveraging virtual machines?

You are right though - if a VM moves from one subclient to another, it will be a full copy of the VM on its first backup in that new subclient.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy