Backend Storage Report by Client

Last post 05-25-2017, 12:46 PM by Ali. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Backend Storage Report by Client
    Posted: 05-18-2017, 3:58 AM

For charge back purposes we should not only know the Frontend Backup Size - which is the last reported Full Backup size as far as I understood - but also the real storage consumption on the disk library, aka Backend Storage, after deduplication and compression.

The thread "Storage Usage of Client Reports" (https://forum.commvault.com/forums/28590/ShowThread.aspx) mentions a stored procedures "QS_Backendstorage" - but I doubt the numbers this procedures gives ...

eg. for a specific client the given "Backend Size [GB]" is 1454 - but summing up the "Data written" column from all the jobs in the Job History view results in only 65 GB ...

Also the sum of the procedure doesn't equal the library usage report ...

What's the point I am missing? How do I get a reliable backend storage report by client?

• Re: Backend Storage Report by Client
    Posted: 05-18-2017, 5:14 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 05-25-2017, 1:25 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

This is for v11 correct?

Posted: 05-18-2017, 5:18 PM

correct, v11 SP7

Posted: 05-18-2017, 5:21 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Could you give this report a try and let us know how it goes?

https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/store.do#!/home/135/details/3695

Posted: 05-19-2017, 6:35 AM

Thanks for pointing to that report - looks pretty neat.

But whether using the underlaying stored procedured "QS_StorageUsageBySubclients" or the mentioned "QS_BackendStorage" the question is yet unanswered:

How could it be, that when opening in the Admin Console the Backup Job History of a certain client and then total up the "Data written" columns of all the jobs listed, I get something completely different?

eg. the report shows 1455 GB, but the jobs counted all together far less than 100GB?

Either Commvault calculates something utterly wrong, or I got a misconception of jobs and storage comsumption (of which I hope the latter is the case ...)

Posted: 05-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Hello,

We need to look into this specific case to see what's going on. Do you mind opening a ticket with Commvault support with your Commserve Database and tell us the exact client in question so we can check this out?

-Bheemesh

Posted: 05-24-2017, 9:46 AM

Hi Bheemesh

this could become a bit difficult, for our support contract is with Fujitsu Technical Service ...

not sure whether communication will then flow to the right people/places ...

thx

Posted: 05-25-2017, 12:46 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Send us your CommCell info offline, we'll see what's possible from a Support standpoint.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy