Move mount path from disk library to another mount path of the same disk library

Last post 06-06-2017, 12:16 PM by Marvin. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Move mount path from disk library to another mount path of the same disk library
    Posted: 03-18-2013, 6:55 AM

At this moment I have a disk library containing two mount paths. I want to move the data of the first mount path to the second mount path. I want to do this because the first mount path was te temporary mount path. Deduplication is enabled on the storage policy. Is it possible to move the data and delete the old mount path? It's not possible to age off data because there is an extended retention rule set.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Move mount path from disk library to another mount path of the same disk library
    Posted: 03-18-2013, 9:56 AM

You can definitely move a single mount path. Just make sure to shutdown your MA services first then follow this procedure:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/magnetic_library/magnetic_library_how_to.htm#move_mntpath

Phil

• Re: Move mount path from disk library to another mount path of the same disk library
    Posted: 03-18-2013, 11:28 AM

Hello Phil,

I know that you can move a mount path.
    The Disk Library contains two moint points

Disk Library (for example)

Mount path 1 = C:\
    Mount path 2 = D:\

I want to move Mount path 1 to the Mount path 2 that already exists. I think it's possible to move it to a new mount point but not to an already existing mount path.

Posted: 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM

Oh, I see what you mean now.

I don't think there's a way to actually merge 2 mount paths together. I had a similar issue in the past and what I did was to move the C drive MP to the D drive in its own folder so it doesn't interfere with the D drive MP and then I disabled write on that MP so that the DDB blocks in that maglib would still be accessible but I would only write to 1 MP on that volume.

In time, some of the MPs that I've done that aged all their data. For some others, I've had a 2nd MP with write disabled for over a year and it still has data. As far as I'm concerned though, as long as you disable write, you shouldn't have any impact on doing this.

Phil

Posted: 03-18-2013, 4:05 PM
    Hello Phil, Thanks for your answer. That was just what I thought. I disabled mount path for write as well but somehow the backup don't run because the mount path is offline. I think that a work around is to create a DASH copy so that I can create a deduplicated copy of the data to the a new disk library that's pointing to a different mount path that's located on the old disk library. After the DASH is succesfull I can promote the Synchronous DASH copy to Primary copy and delete the old primary copy. Mikkel
    Posted: 03-18-2013, 4:52 PM

Yeah, DASH copy would be the cleaner way if you can afford the extra space that will be used to create it. In my case, it was in a remote office and I didn't have any room left to create another copy.

For the offline drive, if you've updated the mount path manually and it's still showing offline, try restarting the media & library manager service on your Commserve, this should force it to update its status and see the new path so that the path can be shown as being online. Doing a DASH copy won't work until the path is online anyway. If after restarting the service, it still shows as offline, make sure to double check the path you've manually entered in Simpana.

Also, if you have 2 paths, it's a bit weird that your backups wouldn't run if one of them is offline as they shouldn't require both paths to be online to run their backups. While one is offline, it should be able to write everything to the other mount path granted it has enough space/writers.

Phil

Posted: 08-19-2014, 11:34 AM

So I noticed the directions on the version 10 documentation (which is what I have) it never mentions stopping the services.  I need to move a library mount path to a different drive on the same server.

Here is my thought process and tell me if it's wrong:

-- Use Robocopy to move the library (all the while it may be writing to it)

-- Once RoboCopy is run a few times to ensure all the data is copied (because Robocopy can move only the change files), stop the Media Agent services, run it one last time to "sync it up".  Change the library path (according to the documentation) and restart services.

My big issue is I can't afford to take the media agent down completely to move this library.  it's a few TB so it will take a few hours and I can't stop the services on this media agent for more than 30 minutes or so.

Thoughts?

Posted: 08-27-2014, 6:59 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Jbrady, why not create a Secondary copy and run an Aux copy job in-line while other backups are running, is this DeDuped data BTW, and whats the reason for moving the data exactly?

I wouldn't go with Robocopy, if it fails or any other unexpected reason, you're jepordizing your primary data backups.

Posted: 08-27-2014, 12:24 PM

Yea, I'm aware I can do that with the AUX copy.  I'm moving the data because I need to restructure my storage on the media agent and move some things around and it's currently sitting on an array I need to re-purpose.

And btw for Robocopy, I wouldn't change the library path until I was sure no jobs are running and they are completely sync'd up.  Then I wouldn't delete the old path until I was sure new jobs ran fine.  So I'm not worried about Robocopy failing.  If it does, I just want change the library until it's successful.

With that being said, would what I laid out work?

Posted: 08-27-2014, 12:54 PM
    • isle is not online. Last active: 06-04-2019, 3:28 PM isle
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-21-2012
    • NJ
    • Adept
    • Points 308

I strongly advise against robocopy.

Why not use a commvault backup/out of place restore with the disk library disabled?

You could backup said mount path to a tape or usb drive then restore it to its new location.

Posted: 08-27-2014, 2:12 PM

Unfortunatley, I can't disable the library.  I have backups every 30 minutes (SQL TL) that I don't want to stop.  I'm looking for a method to do it while backups occur and just "sync" them up.  I can take it down to switch over once sync'd and maybe miss 1 backup window but not several.

Posted: 06-06-2017, 12:16 PM

test

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy