no Backup with SQL iDataAgent after upgrade to V11

Last post 06-08-2017, 1:27 PM by CLiX. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • no Backup with SQL iDataAgent after upgrade to V11
    Posted: 05-12-2017, 8:51 AM

    Hello,

    After the Upgrade from V10 SP15 to V11 SP7 on a client with SQL iData Agent, no more SQL backups run.

    I can see multiple errors, but I don't know where the problem is.

    Errors:

    Error encountered during backup. Error: []

    CVArchive::WriteBuffer() - Cannot allocate buffer for sending data.

    SqlDataWriter::writeData() - Failed to write data to the archive file, at line = 357.

    SqlDataWriter::writeData() - POssible reasons might be that pipeline is down.

     

    The CommServe and Media Agent are on the same software level as the client.

     

    Has anyone an idea?

  • Re: no Backup with SQL iDataAgent after upgrade to V11
    Posted: 05-12-2017, 8:56 AM

    Can you provide logs for a failed job?

    Based on the provided errors I cannot give you an indication.

  • Re: no Backup with SQL iDataAgent after upgrade to V11
    Posted: 05-12-2017, 8:58 AM

    The logs are in the .zip archive.

  • Re: no Backup with SQL iDataAgent after upgrade to V11
    Posted: 05-12-2017, 9:40 AM

    No direct indications within the logging asside from the Buffer errors.

    Are there any system or application event errors which align with the job?

    If not, you can increase the log debug level for commvault to see if this provides more information.

  • Re: no Backup with SQL iDataAgent after upgrade to V11
    Posted: 05-12-2017, 11:20 AM

    Problem appears to be on the Media Agent side, not the SQL agent side.  Could you provide the full set of logs from the Media Agent?  Are any other jobs running to this specific media agent also having issues?  This is the logging from the Media Agent which leads to the problem but without further logging it is difficult to identify why the process is reported as dying.  Is the writer process crashing on the Media Agent?  What service pack level are you on for these media agents?

     

    5994 1   05/12 14:39:44 3842921 DmBridgeR::SetMetaDataString() - DmBridge error: DataWriter process unexpectedly died.
    5994 1 05/12 14:39:44 3842921 DmBridgeR::WritePipeLineBuffer() - DmBridge error: DataWriter process unexpectedly died.
    5994 1 05/12 14:39:44 3842921 [DM_RECEIVER] 9387895-3405581 DataReceiver::WritePipeLineBuffer: Error: DataWriter Write Failed
    5994 1 05/12 14:39:44 3842921 [DSBACKUP ] 9387895-3405581 Failed to process the pipeline buffer
    5994 1 05/12 14:39:44 3842921 DmBridgeR::~DmBridgeR() - Receiver for media group 1862 is going down.
  • Re: no Backup with SQL iDataAgent after upgrade to V11
    Posted: 05-13-2017, 5:20 AM

    Thank you for your help!


    We used two Solaris Media Agents with V11 SP7 with all available Hotfixes. On both we run in to the same issue.

    I tried to run the SQL Backup over a Windows MA (V11 SP7) and the SQL Backup from the same machine works fine! It really sounds like a MA problem on Solaris. We also have some other problems since the upgrade to V11 with the MAs.
    (Error encountered during backup; Failed to save the backup information for [master] to commsereve; Failed to set up pipeline to the MA; Index Update Failed...) These problems do not always occur, but frequently since the upgrade.
    I don't know if the writer process is crashing. How can I check this?

    Here are the log files from the Solaris MA: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpgjmuhzrc3l44o/LogFilesMA.7z?dl=0

     

     




  • Re: no Backup with SQL iDataAgent after upgrade to V11
    Posted: 05-15-2017, 1:06 PM

    Thanks for the response.  There were some discussions internally on this issue and we would like you to please open a support ticket for this problem.  Could you than private message me the ticket number once that is done?  Please feel free to reference this forum post and myself (Timothy Cottrell) when opening the ticket.

    Thanks!

    Tim

  • Re: no Backup with SQL iDataAgent after upgrade to V11
    Posted: 06-08-2017, 1:27 PM
    Thanks for the help! SP7-HotFix-1946 fixed the issue.
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy