OnePass for Exchange Mailbox (Classic) - Delayed Stubbing Question

Last post 07-04-2017, 4:23 AM by R Leong. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • OnePass for Exchange Mailbox (Classic) - Delayed Stubbing Question
    Posted: 07-03-2017, 3:22 AM

Hi all,

Running Commvault 11 SP8 and Exchange 2013.

I configured OnePass for Exchange Mailbox (Classic) for the first time in a test environment, and the incremental jobs complete successfully.
    However, it is just not stubbing older mails.

Message Rules is configured to "Collect messages after 1 days", because I want to see yesterday's emails stubbed.
    Both "Used disk space" and "Mailbox Quotas" quota settings are disabled.

Both "nMinDRBackupBeforeStubbing" and "nMinDaysBeforeStubbing" are set to 0 because for this testing environment I want instant results and am not concerned about DR restores or best practices.

In the job events, it explains why it is not stubbing:
    "Disabling delayed stubbing as 7 days have not passed after first OnePass job".

I understand what that means, why this is good and why it wants to wait 7 days after the first OnePass job before stubbing would work.
    However, for testing purposes, is there a way to waive this 7 days wait?
    I just want to run the job, and see the older emails get stubbed without having to wait 7 days.

Thank you for your time.

RLeong

• Re: OnePass for Exchange Mailbox (Classic) - Delayed Stubbing Question
    Posted: 07-03-2017, 11:14 AM

Could you check the two keys you mentioned, nMinDRBackupBeforeStubbing and nMinDaysBeforeStubbing, to verify they are configured properly?  I have this configured in my test lab and it works as expected:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=changes/new_ways.htm

Disable Delayed Stubbing

You can now disable delayed stubbing by setting the values of the nMinDRBackupBeforeStubbing and nMinDaysBeforeStubbing additional settings to 0.

Previously, you could not disable delayed stubbing. When the additional setting values were set to 0 or null, delayed stubbing occurred after 3 DR backups plus 2 days.

SP5 Advanced Configuration - OnePass for Exchange Mailbox (Classic)
    Posted: 07-03-2017, 11:41 AM

Hi tcottrell,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes. I've made sure the two keys are set correctly as 0 at the CommServe level.
    In fact, it is not even possible to set them anywhere else other than at the CommServe level.
    Thus, I know they are set correctly.

However, I think we maybe focusing at the wrong thing here.
    I do believe that "delayed stubbing" in my case would be disabled successfully after 7 days, since, as we know, the above 2 keys have been set.

I think the "7 days" requirement is an ADDITIONAL delay on top of the 2 delays imposed by the values of those 2 keys.

Proof:
    "Delayed stubbing is disabled on a client when the agent is installed initially and remains disabled until seven (7) days after the first backup job is run on the client."

In my opening post, what I'm asking is how to disable this so that I don't have to wait 7 days to see the effect of email stubbing.
    I've just installed a brand new Client today and configured its email archive agent, and I want to see the effects of email stubbing asap without having to wait 7 days.

I've attached a screenshot of the job result that shows the message. It shows exactly what the documentation says it would. But I really don't have the time to wait 7 days.

Thanks again for your time.

Attachment: Capture.JPG
    Posted: 07-04-2017, 4:23 AM

I just found out that I overlooked the setting "Collect messages larger than n KB" in the Message Rules tab.

I changed it to 0 today and everything started working. Emails with sent date over 24 hours ago are now stubbed successfully.

The "7 days" thing is not what I thought it is.

Silly me.

Thanks again!

RLeong

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy