Failed to read chunk...........Undefined software error occured

Last post 01-07-2011, 10:26 AM by SJS. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Failed to read chunk...........Undefined software error occured
    Posted: 12-14-2010, 8:58 AM

I get the above error when doing aux jobs - I know all about the re copy and do not copy options but as the recopy option isnt working I dont really want to use the do not copy.

Anyone know of a way round this, I'm currently waiting for a call back from commvault on this.

• Re: Failed to read chunk...........Undefined software error occured
    Posted: 12-14-2010, 9:09 AM

Once, I had this error... Commvault came with a workaround to exclude these jobs from a running auxilary copy.

But that was years ago, we were running version 6. But maybe, they have the same workaround. You can try to perform an aux copy of the excluded jobs later.

But you have to ask Commvault for details... I can't remember then right now...

Posted: 12-14-2010, 10:01 AM

Does the error provide you the chunk its failing?  If it does, can you see if the chunk exists?  If it exists you should see details within auxcopy.log/auxcopymgr.log or cvd.log on the ma for further details.

Posted: 12-14-2010, 10:12 AM

I get that error also sometimes... How can I check if the chunk is present....??? I get the chunk number it is on a datadomain box...

Posted: 12-14-2010, 10:14 AM

It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you open a support incident. Bypassing a job for the aux copy is considered data loss as you will not be copying the job to tape.There could be an underlying issue here where the data could be corrupt or you are having a library problem.

If you do not care to get to the root cause nor care about the data being aux copied, you can bypass the job from being copied.

Here is the doc link from Books Online that discusses this.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/auxiliary_copy/auxiliary_copy_how_to.htm#storcopy_disable_dp_oper

In a nutshell, find the job you want to skip. It should list the job ID in the error such as in the example below....

Here you can see the job ID is [15236].

Failed to Copy or verify Chunk [2253901] in media [CV_MAGNETIC], Storage Policy [FileSystems], Copy [1:Primary Disk], Host [media.net], Path [M:\CV_MAGNETIC\V_1904117], File Number [139], Backup Jobs [15236]. Data read from media appears to be corrupted. Data read from media appears to be corrupted.

Go to the storage policy and right click on the aux copy - view jobs. Under the Advanced tab select "Jobs that need to be copied" Find the job ID 15236, right click the job and say "Do NOt Copy"

Resume the Aux Copy.

If the job continues to fail on multiple job, open a new support incident for further investigation into the cause of the issue.

Thank you,
    CommVault Customer Support
    24/7 Support Hotline#: 1.877.780.3077

Posted: 12-14-2010, 10:47 AM

This is exactly what I've done. I had numerous errors with the job numbers so I told those jobs to recopy - the same errors occured so I told them do not copy - obviousley this has left me with data loss. Its then gone to copy the next lot of data and the same errors occur with new job numbers so theres obviousley something fundamentally wrong

Call has been logged, commvault phoning in the morning

Posted: 12-14-2010, 11:39 AM

IF the datadomain on the latest software?  I believe i read on the forums somewhere someone else was having similar chunk issue and the datadomain needed to be upgraded.  Other avenue would be to check the windows event logs for write delayed failure or CRCs.

Posted: 12-30-2010, 9:45 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 06-19-2019, 12:27 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,627

this issue may point to corrupt dedup database. if the database is corrupted and a new baseline has been started this could impact your total amount of available storage as all jobs in a corrupt dedup db need to be aged prior to the entire dataset being pruned. having support verify whether corruption has occurred would be the best route to avoid a bigger headache in the future were you to run short of mag space.

Posted: 01-05-2011, 11:39 AM

FWIW, we experience these problems and we are not using datadomain (we're using a FC SAN).  We do, however, often have corrupt dedupe databases.

Posted: 01-05-2011, 3:08 PM

All

Just to clear up a couple of items.

If the customer is using Data Domain as a target then there would not be a Commvault Deduplication involved as DD is not a target for CV deduplication.

You can however still check that the data is on the data domain as CV treats data written to the DD disk just as they treat a UNC path. So in the logs you should fine the complete path to the location of the chunk in question and should see that chunk via window explorer on the media agent.

That should clear up this post some.

Posted: 01-07-2011, 10:26 AM

I have had problems with Failed to read Chunk... Even tough the virus scanner was not permitted to Check the Maglibs it still did. After checking in the Anti Virus program logs I noticed it saw chunks as Virus and Trojan horses.

Maybe you should check if you have an anti virus program running and check there logging maybe you can prevent this for future events..

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy