Netapp Intellisnap with existent Snapmirror or Snapvault relation

Last post 07-11-2017, 4:35 PM by DinoBob2. 28 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Netapp Intellisnap with existent Snapmirror or Snapvault relation
    Posted: 07-10-2017, 9:12 AM

Hi all

I have 2 Netapp: first is the primary storage, second is the dr/backup

I have already in place a snapmirror volume relation

Is it possible to configure Commvault to use the existent snapmirror relation for the secondary snapshot copy?

Many thanks

• Re: Netapp Intellisnap with existent Snapmirror or Snapvault relation
    Posted: 07-11-2017, 10:58 AM

Yes, the existing relationship could be reused. There are 2 options:

1. Use NetApp open replication

NetApp OCUM server is not involved during replication. 

As of SP8, the support only SnapVault relationship(XDP) is supported. SnapMirror(DP) support will come in SP9.

2. OCUM based replication

An additional setting needs to be configured to import existing relationship. 

Please escalate the case so that we can review and configure appropriate solution.

Posted: 07-11-2017, 11:46 AM

Hello

the replication is Netapp controller based

OCUM reports only "Volume Protection Relationships"

Where can I import the existing relatioship?

Regards

Posted: 07-11-2017, 11:58 AM

By default when running NetApp snapshot replication, new secondary volumes would be provisioned during the first auxcopy job. But if a relationship is already present on the file server, it can be imported during replication to avoid re-baselining. The import will be done in subscription context created on OCUM server as part of replication procedure. For that, we would like to review the list of relationships as seen by OCUM server. Can you please escalate the case?

Posted: 07-11-2017, 12:21 PM

Hello

I can't find the "subscription context" on OCUM web GUI

Posted: 07-11-2017, 12:26 PM

NetApp cluster mode OCUM server doesn't show "subscription contexts" or "storage services" in the GUI. Commvault uses OCUM server APIs to manage those entities.

Posted: 07-11-2017, 12:31 PM

Hello

if OCUM server doesn't show "subscription contexts" where can I import the existing relatioship?

Now I can see the existing relatioship in the Protection => Volume Relationships

Thanks

Posted: 07-11-2017, 1:12 PM

I am interested in this as well. I have a ticket open and am working through this but CommVault does not seem to see the existing relationship. I think there are ways you can make this work with SnapMirrors right now, by the way. But I need to be able to have CommVault see the existing relationship. I keep getting an error about no existing relationship being present. I have followed all of the steps in the documentation.

Pawan, thanks for the heads-up on this.

Posted: 07-11-2017, 1:32 PM

Hello

can you write the link of documentation you have followed?

Thanks

Posted: 07-11-2017, 1:37 PM

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/snap_backup/configuration/features/c_snap_nlr.htm

Posted: 07-11-2017, 2:00 PM

@DinoBob2,

I would like to see file server output for the relationships. Will follow up on the case. What is the case #?

@Strangedays

The documentation link is for NetApp open replication where OCUM server is not involved during the replication process. I believe you are using OCUM server. Do you want to escalate the case and explore the 2 options to see what fits into your requirements?

Posted: 07-11-2017, 2:30 PM

Pawan, I am happy with doing either. They both seem like they would accomplish my goal.

The case is 170707-352.

How does one configure the setting to import existing relationships? Is this something I can do?

Posted: 07-11-2017, 2:42 PM

Hi all

I have just finished to create a new Storage Policy and I'm able to run a Snapshot Copy using Open Replication with an existing Snapvault relationship.

Posted: 07-11-2017, 2:52 PM

@DinoBob2,

The import relationship option is applicable when storage policy is associated with OCUM server. NetApp open replication is OCUM-less and it will always pick the file server relationships.

@Strangedays 

Sounds good. So looks like Open Replication works for you. as of SP8, only snapvault is supported with open replication. 

Posted: 07-11-2017, 2:55 PM

I'd like to know how you did this. I am getting an error when I try. I created a new storage policy as well.

Posted: 07-11-2017, 2:57 PM

Pawan, how does one import the relationships, though? How do you create a storage policy and then perform the import?

Posted: 07-11-2017, 2:59 PM

Hi Bob

I have only create a new storage policy without OCUM registration with a snapshot copy (Snapvault)

Posted: 07-11-2017, 3:13 PM

And you were able to take a primary snap and then replicate it? I have not been able to do this.

Posted: 07-11-2017, 3:17 PM

Hi

is your snapshot copy a Snapvault? 

Posted: 07-11-2017, 3:45 PM

we just set this up (netapp open replication - no OCUM involved).  It was pretty straight-forward.  Just follow the docs here.  You create a stor policy with a snap primary and a selective replica copy (this is the secondary/snapvault). aux copy fires snapvault updates, without using OCUM, and without re-baseline.  Works flawless so far for us

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/snap_backup/configuration/features/c_snap_nlr_config.htm

Posted: 07-11-2017, 3:48 PM

Yes, I have tried setting it up as type XDP when creating the snapvault volume. No dice.

Posted: 07-11-2017, 3:50 PM

is the snapvault relationship initialized and healthy now?  This must be done before anything in CV

Posted: 07-11-2017, 3:57 PM

Hm. There might be a variable here that could cause an issue. This relationship was seeded using smtape. It's up to date and in sync, and NetApp thinks so, but it's not truly a pure SnapVault realtionship. However, it IS type XDP and that is what CommVault should care about. It's not DP.

Posted: 07-11-2017, 3:59 PM

I am going to create a very small test volume and try from scratch without the smtape-seeded volume being a variable.

Posted: 07-11-2017, 4:01 PM

can you post a snapmirror show -instance?

Posted: 07-11-2017, 4:01 PM
    Hi Bob

XDP is Snapmirror
    DP is Snapvault
    Posted: 07-11-2017, 4:02 PM

you have that backwards , XDP is snapvault

Posted: 07-11-2017, 4:06 PM

did you break the smtape restore and then do a resync of type xdp?  once that is done, the relationship will become a "normal" xdp like any other

Also critical that storage policy is not using OCUM check box.  create a new policy, cannot reuse an old OCUM policy

Posted: 07-11-2017, 4:35 PM

I'm going to take a very very careful look at my settings. I created a new volume and a DP volume from scratch and this worked perfectly. I have hope.

I am not using an existing OCUM policy, this is a new one.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy