Invalid XML input when adding mount path to library

Last post 08-12-2017, 12:47 AM by jjbiv. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Invalid XML input when adding mount path to library
    Posted: 08-03-2017, 1:53 PM

Hi all,

I downloaded the add_MountPath.xml file and have edited the various parameters, but when I pass it to the qoperation command, all I get is "execute: Error 0x908: Invalid XML Input. Please check the input."

I've looked at the syntax 20 times at least, nothing seems to be off. In the qcommand.log, nothing helpful, but in the QSDK.log I see "Error. XML is not properly formatted so cannot unserialize it." Is it possible the template on the BOL is incorrect?

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=products/media_agent/cli_config_xml.htm#Add_Additional_Mount_Path

First time trying the xml approach to this and by now I could have added them all (painfully indeed) through the console, but sure figured the CLI would have cut my time by alot.

thanks

• Re: Invalid XML input when adding mount path to library
    Posted: 08-04-2017, 11:27 AM

Hello,

Could you please share the XML with which you're trying to add the mount path and the Service Pack Level of your CommServe?

Below XML works for us on our test environment. Could you please try with this and let us know.

AddMount.xml

<EVGui_ConfigureStorageLibraryReq isConfigRequired="1">
    <library libraryName="TestLib" mediaAgentName="TestMa" mountPath="C:\Test\newmount" opType="4"/>
    </EVGui_ConfigureStorageLibraryReq>

Example: qoperation execute -af C:\AddMount.xml

Thanks,
    Yash
    Posted: 08-07-2017, 9:47 AM

Hi Yash, Running SP8. The fundamental difference I see is we are trying to add a network path, not a local disk.

<library libraryName="MyNAS" mediaAgentName="ma101" mountPath="\\MyNAS.fqdn\cvlt_images\ProdLongTerm\DiskLib17" opType="4" loginName="ad\account" password="Z"/>

If I omit the login name and pw, it fails with “access to media denied”, but with the credentials, fails with “execute: Error 0x908: Invalid XML Input. Please check the input.”

If I only include the loginName, if says the credentials may be incorrect (doesn’t prompt for a pw or nothing), so this implies the password is required in the xml. thanks

Posted: 08-07-2017, 1:15 PM

Hi,

There's an additional space after password attribute in your XML between "/" and ">" which makes this an invalid XML. You may verify the same with any online XML validators such as: https://codebeautify.org/xmlvalidator

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/others/products/media_agent/xml/add_network_mountpath_example.xml

This works in our Test Environment on SP8. 

Thanks,

Yash

Posted: 08-07-2017, 1:22 PM

No, that space was apparently stuck in there when I edited the line and no, I’m not going to paste the actual credentials in this forum. There is NO space in our XML. Support is looking into it as well.

The page you sent doesn't work in our environment but I used http://www.xmlvalidation.com/index.php?id=1&L=0 and it says "No errors were found"

update-

Apparently the problem was around special characters in the pw data which cannot be passed directly. This seems wrong to me but is due to the xml standards and so there may be no way around it without either changing the pw and the multitudes of places where that account is used. In this particular case, due to those characters & and $ in there, xml saved no time at all in reality.

Posted: 08-08-2017, 5:23 AM

Hi,

Could you please try by passing the values as command line arguments instead of editing the XML? 

Example:

QOperation execute -af add_MountPath.xml -libraryName lib1 -mediaAgentName myMA1 -mountPath '\\myMA2\location2' -loginName 'mydomain\admin' -password "mypassword$&"

Please do not edit the xml and keep all the values as blank as following.

<library libraryName="" mediaAgentName="" mountPath="" opType="4" loginName="" password=""/>

Posted: 08-08-2017, 8:23 AM
    Nope, it broke the password up starting with the & with the result…

'restofmypwafterthe&'' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

I guess I will just take it as a learning experience in how to deal with XML. It would be nice if the error message or log files would indicate this is the issue, but apparently you “just have to know these things”.
    thanks
    Posted: 08-12-2017, 12:47 AM

I can replicate the error you received when using single quote (') characters around the password. It appears to work fine when using double quote (") characters (which are different from using two single quote characters) around the password since it has special characters in it. Sometimes these characters don't copy and paste well across different systems.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy