Archive size of the file or size on disk

Last post 11-07-2017, 5:00 PM by StorageGuy007. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Archive size of the file or size on disk
    Posted: 11-07-2017, 5:29 AM

Hi,

When Commvault is archiving, does it look at the size of the file or size on disk ?

Best Regards.

• Re: Archive size of the file or size on disk
    Posted: 11-07-2017, 9:51 AM

Hi Omer,

we will show the original file size before the stubbing. However, the stub will only consume 4KB.

so if you stub a file that is 500MB; the stub will show a size of 500MB in file explorer or what ever you are using to view files but the actual file only consumes 4KB.

Gary Seibak
    Technical Account Manager - Commvault
    Posted: 11-07-2017, 12:18 PM

Hi Gary,

Thanks for answer. What i really want to learn is while Commvault file archiving, which size does Commvault take. On the subclient properties there is just "File Size Greater Than" setting. Is this setting look at the "Size on Disk" or "Size".

I want to ask this because one of our customer has used another software for archive before. For this reason some files(stub) are having 0 KB Size on Disk and just show normal Size.

I want to exclude this stub files, if i learn while Commvault file archiving is looking which size, "Size on Disk" or "Size".

Thanks.

Posted: 11-07-2017, 5:00 PM

will key off of size not size on disk but if sparse file attribute is set then we skip that from being stubbed but will still back it up as a file.

Gary Seibak
    Technical Account Manager - Commvault
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy