VSA transport options

Last post 01-08-2018, 10:09 AM by Henry. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VSA transport options
    Posted: 11-14-2017, 1:56 AM

Hi,

I am failing to understand some of the subtleties of VSA transport mode.  Some of these questions may seem perverse but they will help sort the options in my mind.

Starting here : https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=products/vs_vmware/c_vmw_transport_modes.htm

* In LAN Free HotAdd mode, can the VSA and MA be on *different* machines, rather than the same VM, as per the link? I accept this may kill the benefit of "LAN Free" but I want to understand if it is possible (as an interim / transitionary config)

* Network based Hot Add mode *does* allow different machines.  But, covering all my bases here, can VSA and MA be *combined*? 

* Does Network based Hot Add mode *require* the VSA to be a VM on the Vmware cluster.  The link is not clear and it seems to me to be plausible that off-cluster would work in *some* cases : eg, NFS

* I have previously been told by CommVault that putting a firewall proxy or MA on a VM is poor config and I should not expect decent performance because the VM can never match physical.   But some of these transport modes *do* have either the VSA or the MA on a VM.  That seems contradictory - unless there are caveats for transport modes that are not well documented

* if the VSA is off-cluster, can NBD mode be considered equivalent to Network based HotAdd mode?  Or is NBD inferior, come what may?

Thanks

S

• Re: VSA transport options
    Posted: 01-08-2018, 10:09 AM

stevefranks:

* In LAN Free HotAdd mode, can the VSA and MA be on *different* machines, rather than the same VM, as per the link? I accept this may kill the benefit of "LAN Free" but I want to understand if it is possible (as an interim / transitionary config)

* Network based Hot Add mode *does* allow different machines.  But, covering all my bases here, can VSA and MA be *combined*? 

This is more of a deployment scenerio than a requirement.  If you configure the VSA on a Hotadd capable VM and also install the MA on that same VM and give it access to the backup storage then you are in Lan Free HotAdd.  (Assuming that the way that MA accesses the backup storage isn't over the lan)  If any of those isn't true then you will be going over the lan.  Its more of understanding how the data is flowing with what you have configured.

stevefranks:

* Does Network based Hot Add mode *require* the VSA to be a VM on the Vmware cluster.  The link is not clear and it seems to me to be plausible that off-cluster would work in *some* cases : eg, NFS

HotAdd requires that the VSA be on a VM that is running on a host that has access to the datastore.  This doesn't necessarially have to be within the same VMware cluster.  It could be on some other host.  VMFS and NFS aren't directly bound to the VMware cluster.  The host does need to be within the same vCenter.

stevefranks:

* I have previously been told by CommVault that putting a firewall proxy or MA on a VM is poor config and I should not expect decent performance because the VM can never match physical.   But some of these transport modes *do* have either the VSA or the MA on a VM.  That seems contradictory - unless there are caveats for transport modes that are not well documented

We have updated some of our documentation / recommendations around VMs.  That was previously a stance that we had taken as we have encountered a number of customers that had configured on a VM that was on a host that was overcomitted or on a host that was experiencing other issues.  As long as you have properly sized and reserved the hardware for the commvault components then there should not be any issue with using a virtual machine vs a physical machine.

stevefranks:

* if the VSA is off-cluster, can NBD mode be considered equivalent to Network based HotAdd mode?  Or is NBD inferior, come what may?

NBD isn't necessarially inferior, but the data will take a different path through the network.  For NBD the VSA is talking to the management network on the host to receive the data.  So the communication from the host to the VSA/MA is basically controlled by VMware.  In HotAdd we are reading the data from the host just like the source VM; we then have control over the communcation.  At the basic level it probably could be considered equivilent and the differences would depend on if you are taking advatage of the differences with client side dedup, compression, encryption, data interface pairs, etc.  

I hope some of this was helpful and didn't just confuse you further.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy