I am failing to understand some of the subtleties of VSA transport mode. Some of these questions may seem perverse but they will help sort the options in my mind.
Starting here : https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=products/vs_vmware/c_vmw_transport_modes.htm
* In LAN Free HotAdd mode, can the VSA and MA be on *different* machines, rather than the same VM, as per the link? I accept this may kill the benefit of "LAN Free" but I want to understand if it is possible (as an interim / transitionary config)
* Network based Hot Add mode *does* allow different machines. But, covering all my bases here, can VSA and MA be *combined*?
* Does Network based Hot Add mode *require* the VSA to be a VM on the Vmware cluster. The link is not clear and it seems to me to be plausible that off-cluster would work in *some* cases : eg, NFS
* I have previously been told by CommVault that putting a firewall proxy or MA on a VM is poor config and I should not expect decent performance because the VM can never match physical. But some of these transport modes *do* have either the VSA or the MA on a VM. That seems contradictory - unless there are caveats for transport modes that are not well documented
* if the VSA is off-cluster, can NBD mode be considered equivalent to Network based HotAdd mode? Or is NBD inferior, come what may?