VSA transport options

Last post 11-14-2017, 1:56 AM by stevefranks. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VSA transport options
    Posted: 11-14-2017, 1:56 AM

Hi,

I am failing to understand some of the subtleties of VSA transport mode.  Some of these questions may seem perverse but they will help sort the options in my mind.

Starting here : https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=products/vs_vmware/c_vmw_transport_modes.htm

* In LAN Free HotAdd mode, can the VSA and MA be on *different* machines, rather than the same VM, as per the link? I accept this may kill the benefit of "LAN Free" but I want to understand if it is possible (as an interim / transitionary config)

* Network based Hot Add mode *does* allow different machines.  But, covering all my bases here, can VSA and MA be *combined*? 

* Does Network based Hot Add mode *require* the VSA to be a VM on the Vmware cluster.  The link is not clear and it seems to me to be plausible that off-cluster would work in *some* cases : eg, NFS

* I have previously been told by CommVault that putting a firewall proxy or MA on a VM is poor config and I should not expect decent performance because the VM can never match physical.   But some of these transport modes *do* have either the VSA or the MA on a VM.  That seems contradictory - unless there are caveats for transport modes that are not well documented

* if the VSA is off-cluster, can NBD mode be considered equivalent to Network based HotAdd mode?  Or is NBD inferior, come what may?

Thanks

S

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy