Snapshot Retention with VSA Backup

Last post 06-11-2018, 12:14 PM by franzr77. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Snapshot Retention with VSA Backup
    Posted: 11-24-2017, 4:17 AM

Hi!

I am backing up some virtual machines with exchange servers on them. with every backup i get two jobs in the primary copy (after backupcopy run):

1) Virtual-Sever which ist the Backup of the VM (Inc or Full)

2) Exchange Database Full(Snap) - and it is always marked as Full(Snap)

When i want to keep my first full of the month i now have a problem with the retention.

my fulls run on saturday. when the first day of the month was wednesday for example this jobs are retained:

1) Virtual-Server backup of Saturday (because its the first Full)

2) Exchange Database Full(Snap) of Wednesday (because all Snaps are Fulls)

So the retained Exchange Backup Snapshot with the metadata does not match the retained virtual-server backup.

is there any elegant solution to this and can i tell commvault that it should keep the dependent snaps.

Why does commvaul not mark the Exchange Snaps as Inc(Snap). This would solve the problem.

Commvvault Version v11 SP9

There are not storage-arrays involved. The Sanpshot procedure is the default VSA Backup procedure.

Greetings,

Franz

• Re: Snapshot Retention with VSA Backup
    Posted: 11-24-2017, 4:46 AM

As a workaround i configured extended retentions as this:

1) Keep weekly fulls for 30 days

2) Keep monthly fulls for 300 days (Grace 7 days)

[X] Select the jobs from previous tier

Weekly fulls are working because the selection is based on the day and i chose the day where the full is running (saturday). so The VSA backup and teh Snaps are both Fulls and are retained.

Because of the selected additional option the monthly fulls only come from the weekly fulls and so its working.

It is a workaround but in my opinion commvault should fix this behavoir so that the dependent jobs are always retained together.

Posted: 12-13-2017, 6:12 AM

Hello Franz,

Are you referring to an application aware backups?

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=products/vsa/c_vsa_appaware_overview.htm

If this is the case, I assume that you are not using intellisnap for the VSA component of the job.

For a full recovery of the VM, you are able to do so, soley from the VSA component of the job. If you are looking to perform an exchange restore, this can also be run independant of the VSA portion of the backup.

Have you had issues performing either a full VM restore or an exchange restore? It may be a good idea to open a support ticket to investigate further.

Kind regards

Allister

Commvault

Posted: 06-11-2018, 12:14 PM

Yes AppAware Backup.

How can i restore Exchange Mails when i dont have the SnapCopy Jobs and only the Virtual-Server Backup-Jobs?

When i do a Persistent-Recovery or a Snap-Mount i have to select the Snap.

Greetings,

Franz

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy