Some basic archiving q's

Last post 01-22-2015, 9:11 AM by Trekrod1. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Some basic archiving q's
    Posted: 12-23-2010, 8:35 AM

Hi All,

Sympana 8.

I have installed a fileserver archiving agent and all seems to be working (reporting 200 or so GB archived) it archives to tape..

Questions are:

1 - Does the archived icon (on files that have been archived) change to something else? (so that you know it's archived)

2 - What size is the stub file? and does it still report the original file size?

3 - I have selected under "stub rules" "preserve stubs until the media is pruned" I want to keep the stub files there infinately so that a user can just click it and bring it back from tapes is the above the right selection for that or should i select "preserve until" and select a really high number?

At the moment I am archiving all files over  5 years old (modified) and have not been accessed for a month and that side of it seems to be ok, when I look at view archived file list from a previous job and navigate to that file it just looks like nothing has changed and opens immediately when I click on it??? I suppose I should take the tape out and see if it truly has been archived which I will try when a current archive job finishes.

Sorry for the questions but I have had a trawl through books online and can't find any of my basic answers (though they are probably there somewhere)

Thanks for any help and info.

David

• Re: Some basic archiving q's
    Posted: 12-23-2010, 9:02 AM

Davbeee:

Questions are:

1 - Does the archived icon (on files that have been archived) change to something else? (so that you know it's archived)   [VB] CV adds an offline attribute to the file, which typically shows a little black clock on the usual icon based off the file extension.  Some extensions do not have an "offline icon"

2 - What size is the stub file? and does it still report the original file size?  [VB]  size of the stub is the allocation size set on the disk.  In most cases this would be 4k which is the size on disk.  The sparse attribute (which is added to the stub) makes the display size show the original size of the file.  So if the file archived was 100k, in windows explorer the size would show 100k, and size on disk would be 4k

3 - I have selected under "stub rules" "preserve stubs until the media is pruned" I want to keep the stub files there infinately so that a user can just click it and bring it back from tapes is the above the right selection for that or should i select "preserve until" and select a really high number?  [VB]  IF your retention is infinite on the storage policy then your selection is correct. 

At the moment I am archiving all files over  5 years old (modified) and have not been accessed for a month and that side of it seems to be ok, when I look at view archived file list from a previous job and navigate to that file it just looks like nothing has changed and opens immediately when I click on it??? I suppose I should take the tape out and see if it truly has been archived which I will try when a current archive job finishes.  [VB]  Check your AV to see if when the stubs are being created, the AV is jumping in a recalling the files.  From BOL:

To avoid stub recall failures, ensure that your anti-virus software is configured to allow the GXHSM Recaller service and associated driver(s) to function properly without being blocked. For more information, refer to KB article 11369 on the Maintenance Advantage website. This KB provides details for the individual AV Enterprise level Vendors: McAfee®, Symantec®, Trend Micro®, and eTrust®.

Sorry for the questions but I have had a trawl through books online and can't find any of my basic answers (though they are probably there somewhere)

Thanks for any help and info.

David

Posted: 12-23-2010, 9:24 AM

Hey Vinzenzo - your the man - thanks!

Understood all of that perfectly except the bit "AV is jumping in a recalling the files" I might be having a dohhh moment but what is AV? i'm think that if the file has been archived from the fileserver but is still sitting somewhere on the maglib that it will be pulling it from there?

Forget books online you should do a "Vincenzo Online"

Cheers

David

Posted: 12-23-2010, 9:48 AM

There are known interaction issues with Anti-virus and file archiver.  CV has documented these interaction issues and supplied "known good configuration" for each major vendor and version in the KB i supplied in my prior response.  The anomolie you describe sounds like an interaction issue, so best to check out the KB, make the changes, and see if the problem persists.

I appreciate the comments and glad I could help

Posted: 12-24-2010, 5:15 AM

Thanks again Vincezo - unfortunately none of the links appear to be working on this page

http://commvault.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22092/kw/11369

A CommVault Forums Moderator has de-linked the original URL contained in this post to point to the current website hosting the same content in order to maintain the informative value of this posting.

https://ma.commvault.com/KB/Details/11376

except the symantec one and I use Sophos so I have submitted a ticket but meanwhile will try and work it out from the symantec article...

Cheers...

David

Posted: 12-24-2010, 9:47 AM

dont bother as the settings will be completely different from the AV side.  I did a search on the portal and found another link that has the instructions:

https://ma.commvault.com/KB/Details/11372

I MSG stephen connington on the boards to have him investigate why the links dont work.

Posted: 12-29-2010, 7:13 AM

Thanks Vincenzo - everything is now working as expected and you were right the symantec article bears little resemblance to the sophos one... 

Cheers

David

Posted: 12-29-2010, 10:03 AM

Excellent, thanks for making resolved!

Posted: 11-06-2014, 7:33 PM

The article that was referenced in this forum post has been retired.  Currently the information can be found from this link and using the links to V9 BOL for Simpana Versions 8 and 9 AntiVirus White Papers based on Vendor AV version.

Antivirus Exclusions for Simpana Directories and Services
    https://ma.commvault.com/KB/Details/11358

Supplied by KB Admin

Posted: 01-22-2015, 9:11 AM

Adding the following article which links in the white papers for Anti-Virus software configurations for Versions 8, 9 and 10 so you can access the details.

File Archiver Configuration Settings required to prevent Stub Recall errors with Anti-Virus Security applications

https://ma.commvault.com/KB/Details/11376

Supplied by KB admin

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy