Media Agent Migration Worries...Exchange Achiving On Existing Media Agent

Last post 12-11-2017, 1:29 PM by tcottrell. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Media Agent Migration Worries...Exchange Achiving On Existing Media Agent
    Posted: 12-05-2017, 8:30 PM

Hey Everyone,

We are currently running V11 SP9 and we are looking to migrate MA's due to failing hardware. I've run through the migration instructions on BOL and am prepared to: Move DDB partitions, Share Data Paths and change primary path, move index cache.

My concern....

I currently backup and archive (1-pass) Exchange mailboxes. The server which has been backing up and archiving data for Exchange is the current Media Agent. To keep it easy I would like to continue this practice on the new MA. The new MA is prepped for Exchange Mailbox backups/archiving but...

Should I create subclients on the new MA and associate mailboxes?

If so, What does that do to the retention of messages that had been backed up /archived using the previous MA? Naturally I could mimic the settings but would that affects our ability to recover these previously archived messages?

Any clarity on how best to do this correctly would help....I'm solid on the step by step outlined in BOL. I just believe I have uncommon setup which makes me second guess if the documentation is accurate for my situation

Thank you in adavance,

David Boomer

• Re: Media Agent Migration Worries...Exchange Achiving On Existing Media Agent
    Posted: 12-11-2017, 1:29 PM

Could be a good time to transition to the new mailbox agent and never have to deal with a concern like this again :).  Since the new mailbox agent exists as a 'pseudo client' it has no ties to any specific physical client.  Instead you assign proxy servers to it which you can add or subtract as needed.  You can migrate the current data to the new mailbox agent using the methods described here:  http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=products/exchange_onepass_agent/c_exopa_transitioning.htm

Would be my top recommendation here.  Otherwise to answer your actual question, you could just reconfigure all the same settings on your new client and just deconfigure the old client BUT you will lost the capability of removing the messages based on received time retention moving forward.  Although item level retention would continue to occur on the STUBS, the original data would still live on the original proxy and would never get touched since new synthetic fulls would not run.  Do not be fooled by the data showing up on the new exchange mailbox classic browse for the new server and think the old server can just be deleted.  The STUBS being backed up are just the pointers without the back end data.  If you ever delete the original server it wil prune that data.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2017 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy