Renaming Storage Policy

Last post 12-24-2010, 8:27 PM by Liam. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Renaming Storage Policy
    Posted: 12-22-2010, 3:22 AM

Hi 

Does anyone knows if there's any implication should i rename an existing storage policy to a new name and continue to use it?

What will happen to those jobs that are being backed up previously?

Any particular procedures/Steps that i should look out for?

An example of what i am trying to achieve as below:

1. Rename existing Storage policy called Files_Backup_SP to Arhive_Files_Backup_SP

2. Create a new storage policy using back the old name Files_Backup_SP with different criteria for different subclients 

TIA

Rgds

TY

• Re: Renaming Storage Policy
    Posted: 12-22-2010, 3:57 AM

I don't see any problem with it. so far I know, you can rename a storage policy without problems at all...

Implementing a new storage policy with the old name will not cause Commvault any troubles...

Posted: 12-22-2010, 9:18 AM

Hello,

This is a not a problem at all.  It is just a label so no harm in doing that.

JW

Posted: 12-22-2010, 9:22 AM

TYAvAtar:

Hi 

Does anyone knows if there's any implication should i rename an existing storage policy to a new name and continue to use it?

1. Rename existing Storage policy called Files_Backup_SP to Arhive_Files_Backup_SP

2. Create a new storage policy using back the old name Files_Backup_SP with different criteria for different subclients 

TIA

Rgds

TY

There are no issues or know problems with doing what you have described.

Posted: 12-22-2010, 5:17 PM

There are no know issues with doing this. This should not impact restores or the indexed data.

Thank you,
    CommVault Customer Support
    24/7 Support Hotline#: 1.877.780.3077

Posted: 12-23-2010, 7:16 PM

TYAvAtar:

Hi 

TIA

Rgds

TY

Yep agreed with everyone here, a rename is fine, i have done this many times without any issues backup or restore.

The jobs backed up prior just stay where they are, nothing happens to them, still available against the new name of the SP.

Procedure is just right click on the SP and choose Properties, then change the name and OK.

Posted: 12-24-2010, 8:27 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 07-19-2019, 12:17 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,646

Here are the steps from BOL. They are the same in each version. The change updates the database which changes everything associated with it. No harm.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/storage_policies/storage_policies_how_to.htm#storpol_chng_name

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy