Year End Tapes - multiple copies

Last post 12-28-2010, 12:30 PM by Vincenzo_Basolino. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Year End Tapes - multiple copies
    Posted: 12-28-2010, 11:38 AM

We are using version 8 currently.  I have been instructed to make multiple copies of our Year End backup tapes.  This straightforward request is complicated by a few things.  We are running disk to disk to tape, however, since we don't have enough drive space, we are only using the secondary disk copy as a spooling area.  Once the auxiliary copy is written to tape it gets cleared out.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about achieving this.  If I have to simply copy the tapes afterward, I can do that.  However, since we only have one tape drive it'll be pretty time consuming I'm guessing.  I've toyed with adding another auxiliary copy, but am wondering how to keep the tapes completely segregated so that both copies don't write to the same tapes.

I'd appreciate any suggestion that you can give me.

Thanks!

Joe

• Re: Year End Tapes - multiple copies
    Posted: 12-28-2010, 11:46 AM

Not having the data on mag is surely going to be a problem, since you cannot go tape to tape with a single drive.  Once you surpass that obstacle however the new secondary copy should be an issue.  I dont believe you will need to worry about segragating the tapes as it should pull a new scratch for the year end copy.  You could also create a new scratch pool and specify this scratch pool when creating this new aux to be double sure.

Anyway, back to the original issue.. Is it possible to recopy back to mag and then aux to this new tape copy? 

Posted: 12-28-2010, 12:20 PM

I had also thought about possibly creating a new scratch pool to segregate the copies, but I wasn't sure about being able to create 2 auxiliary copies and then have the data purged afterward.  I definitely need to read up a bit more on that option.

There will be room to copy the tapes back to the disk , but can I simply dump the tape to disk then copy that data to a new tape or am I going to have to do a restore to the disk then backup that up to the new tape?

I am also looking at the TapeToolGui utility to see what I can do with that.

Posted: 12-28-2010, 12:30 PM

Instead of dumping the entire tape, setting up the aux copy to only copy the jobs you want back to mag and then aux copy to the secondary tape.  If your current aux copy data spans multiple tapes, this will allow the new copy to confine only the jobs you want to the smallest amount of media.  If you go the aux copy route, once the data is secured on the secondary tape, you could let the data age (i believe you mentioned it set to spool anyway)

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy