Manual deletion of jobs from a worm storage policy

Last post 02-12-2018, 5:42 AM by OKB. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Manual deletion of jobs from a worm storage policy
    Posted: 02-09-2018, 9:42 AM

Hi, I would like to know how to manualy delete a jobs from a WORM storage policy.

Acording to my mistake I have made a Job that been writen to RW tape media but through a WORM Selective Copy Storage policy. Now I want to delete a job and reuse media but get a message: "Delete operation skipped Manual deletion of jobs from a worm storage policy is not allowed"

Could you help?

Regards,

Georgiy.

Attachment: 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG
  • Re: Manual deletion of jobs from a worm storage policy
    Posted: 02-09-2018, 9:49 AM

Commvault will not allow rewrite of worm media, maybe support can force something for you?

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 02-09-2018, 10:04 AM

no no.. I am not willing to rewrite WORD media (impossible). I just want to delete a Job made with Selective Copy Storage policy (marked as WORM). A data had written to a R/W tape media (not to WORM).

Posted: 02-09-2018, 10:10 AM

Apologies, eventhough jobs in a Worm copy cannot be deleted only aged.

You can however follow this procedure to modify the retention on that job so it will be aged faster.

You will have to contact support for an authentication code:

Enable Lowering the Retention Period of a WORM Copy

You can allow the user to lower the retention period of a WORM Copy. To lower the retention period, a user must be a member of the Master user group. See Managing User Groups for more information on user groups.

1. Log on to the CommServe by running the qlogin command.
    2. Execute the following qscript command:

Note: To obtain the authentication code, contact your software provider.

qoperation execscript -sn setConfigParam -si DA_CONFIG_ALLOW_JOB_RETENTION_CHANGE_ON_WORM_COPY -si 1 -si <authentication_code>

Modify the Retention Criteria of the Manually Retained Jobs

You can change the retention period of the manually retained jobs associated with a WORM Copy. To change the retention period, a user must be a member of the Master user group. See Managing User Groups for more information on user groups.

1. Enable the administrators to lower the retention period of a WORM copy. See Enable Lowering the Retention Period of a WORM Copy.
    2. Modify the Retention period of a job as followed:
      1. From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies | Storage Policies | <Storage_Policy>.
      2. Right-click the appropriate WORM Copy, point to View and then click Jobs.
      3. In the Job Filter for Storage Policy dialog box, clear the Specify Time Range check box, and then click OK.

A list of jobs associated with a storage policy copy is displayed in the Jobs for Storage Policy Copy pane of the CommCell browser.

4. Right-click the appropriate retained job displayed with icon, and then click Change Retention.
      5. In the Manual Retention End Time for Job dialog box, select one of the following setting, and then click OK.
        • By default, Retain Until is selected, click down arrow button to change the retention date.
        • Select Infinite to not age the job.
        • Select Do Not Retain Job to not retain the job.
        The expiration date will be displayed in Retain Until field in the Jobs for Storage Policy window.

Edit: On second thought, I do not know if this is possible for storage policy copy defined retention on jobs. Maybe someone else knows this? Otherwise support can answer this for you.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 02-12-2018, 5:42 AM

Thank you!! I will try to get authentication code and check your solution. I will write the result.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy