SQL & File System agent exclusions best practice

Last post 01-03-2011, 10:15 AM by Hari Pammi. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • SQL & File System agent exclusions best practice
    Posted: 01-03-2011, 9:47 AM

Is it best practice to exclude the SQL data on all File System subclients, to avoid double backups of the SQL data? Just occurred to me I have not done this.

Would it be wise to exclude C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data on the File System subclients?

• Re: SQL & File System agent exclusions best practice
    Posted: 01-03-2011, 9:53 AM

As long as you are securing the SQL databases with the SQL idataagent this would be recommended.

If you use the file system IDA to secure an online database most likely (if the backup was successful) the database would not be consistent if restored.

SQL databases should always be secured with online backup agent.  IE SQL Ida.

CommVault Messaging Support
    Posted: 01-03-2011, 9:58 AM

Yeah, I have a SQL Idataagent. I figured there was no particular need to have the file system backup it up as well unless there is something I was overlooking. Thanks!

Posted: 01-03-2011, 10:15 AM

You answered the question. As long as there in no data that needs to be backed up, you don't have to worry.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy