Replication off-site question

Last post 01-06-2011, 12:54 PM by Vincenzo_Basolino. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Replication off-site question
    Posted: 01-03-2011, 9:55 AM

We are currently backing half our systems data to our SAN locally. We would like to replicate this data off-site at our remote location's DAS storage, which has it's own media agent. Can someone tell me which method would be best for doing this? SDR, CDR, AUX or Media Agent Replication? I'm having a hard time figuring out the differences between the four. Could someone explain the differences? We have two CDR licenses (during implementation, this was recommended), but I was told on the phone by a technician that CDR isn't what we are wanting to do, but SDR rather.

• Re: Replication off-site question
    Posted: 01-03-2011, 10:19 AM

If you are replicating magnetic libraries, SDR is the correct method in 8.0. 

9.0 DASH copy would be used.

Posted: 01-03-2011, 10:52 AM

I was told that you could use "SDR Mode" with CDR. Is this true?

Posted: 01-03-2011, 11:22 AM

When recreating replicated magnetic library, "SDR mode" is used.  SDR is a function of CDR, minus the snapshot which is not needed for replicating magnetic chunks.  What you were told was correct.  Follow the instructions on replicating magnetic library and you'll be installing CDR on the source and destination machines.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/remote_office/remote_office.htm

Posted: 01-03-2011, 12:13 PM

Perhaps you can help on this: I've configured my libraries, and have created a storage policy. CDR is installed on both media agents. The Continous Data Replicator however isn't showing up under the remote media agent in the console. It says the following in the how-to "When you have completed configuring the Magnetic Libraries on Replicated Disks, a Replication Set with the name "SimpleDataReplication" and associated Replication Pair(s) will be automatically created, and will appear in the CommCell Console under ContinuousDataReplicator on the source (remote office) MediaAgent."

Posted: 01-06-2011, 12:54 PM
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy