CommVault Forums

Solving Forward - Solving Together
Welcome to CommVault Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in

Failed to connect to Communications Service to register the process.

Last post 01-03-2011, 8:26 PM by sssstew. 16 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Failed to connect to Communications Service to register the process.
    Posted: 12-09-2010, 5:18 AM

1348 198 12/08 21:34:10 63382 Scheduler Phase [4-Scan] (0,0) started on [**********] - FSIFind -j 63382 -a 2:7 -t 1 -d "**********"*ECRC*8400*8402 -r 1291712895 -ab 0 -i 1 -cs commvault -jt 63382:4:10 -mountPath
    1348 ca8 12/08 21:36:10 63382 Scheduler Set pending cause [Failed to connect to Communications Service to register the process.]::Client [ECRC] Application [FSIFind] Message Id [318768408] RCID [0] ReservationId [0]. Level [0] flags [0] id [0] overwrite [0] append [0] CustId[0].
    1348 ca8 12/08 21:38:10 63382 Scheduler Phase [Failed] message received from [ECRC.cornwall.nhs.uk] Module [FSIFind] Token [63382:4:10] restartPhase [0]
    1348 ca8 12/08 21:38:10 ##### AppManager JMAppMgr::getValidateArchiveIndexPhase() failed. Returning false

If I stop and start the services, it seems to work okay during a test, but then fails with the same error during the night.

Any Ideas?

• Re: Failed to connect to Communications Service to register the process.
    Posted: 12-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Mort, without cycling the services, does the job "eventually" complete?  I'm trying to gauge if this is a load issue. 

Posted: 12-09-2010, 3:52 PM

...agree with Vince, this issue is mostly seen when job manager process on CS is overloaded, which causes timeouts on the scheduler requesting new job slots.

So would recommend adding RAM, disabling Virus Scanning or otherwise optimize system IOps performance on CS.

In most cases seen in the field, this issue was because SQL server memory usage was not limited appropriately. Ensure that SQL server on the CS does not consume more that MAX 2/3rd of avail phys RAM.

Note that this is not a critical error as it is just an info that job manager didn't respond in approriate time frame. Scheduler will retry, so it should be seen as an indication of too few performance available on CS in peak times.

Regards,
    MBA
    Posted: 12-09-2010, 4:05 PM

mba:

So would recommend adding RAM, disabling Virus Scanning or otherwise optimize system IOps performance on CS.

In most cases seen in the field, this issue was because SQL server memory usage was not limited appropriately. Ensure that SQL server on the CS does not consume more that MAX 2/3rd of avail phys RAM.

CORRECTION:

Sorry, just saw that the issue is obviously related to the client. So recommendations might not be true for the CS but for the client and/or for the network connection to it (Client to CS and/or MA). If this is a WAN based client, please check if network connection is reliable. But it seems to me that the client is overloaded, at least during some timeframe of backup period. Please check what processes are running on the client and how it is utilized at the time the backup throughs this error.

Regards,
    MBA
    Posted: 12-10-2010, 3:36 AM

Thanks for that, it is inded a WAN client, but it has been reliable, and it's a 9-5 office, backup starts at 6pm, there's absolutely no load on the client at that time.  Job restarts but eventually fails with the same error on every restart, it's not at random times through the backup but is always at the start and can't even start FSIFind.

Posted: 12-10-2010, 11:37 AM

Mort,

Is backup the only activity on the wire? If the restarts happen about the same time I would check for other applications using the bandwidth.

Posted: 12-13-2010, 4:37 AM

Backup is the only thing on the wire and it is backing up to a local tape drive, client and media agent are on the same server so there shouldn't be too much WAN traffic at all.

Worked fine for weeks, now I just can't get a good backup.

Posted: 12-13-2010, 11:27 AM

Is this the only affected Client?  Are there any software or hardware Firewalls either installed on the machines or between them? 

JW

Posted: 12-13-2010, 3:13 PM

Hello Mort,

Here is an example of what I have seen before.

The backup is failing on the client side with errors:

"Description: Failed to connect to Communications Server to register the process"

"Error registering job with the Communications Service."

Here is what has worked for me in the past.

Check the localhost entry in the file and make sure that the loopback IP 127.0.0.1 is set up correctly:

127.0.0.1                         localhost

Good Luck,

DEsparza

Posted: 12-14-2010, 3:26 AM

localhost is configured correctly!

It's the only affected Client, no firewalls.

If I restart the services I can get One backup job done during the day, backup fails again every night.

For now I've just put in a cron job to restart commvault services just before the backup, see how that goes.

Posted: 12-14-2010, 4:46 AM

I don't know if you had some changes to your box lately.

If you have several nics in your server, you should check the binding order.

Posted: 12-14-2010, 6:14 AM

No changes to the server, either hardware or configuration, since it went in 2 years ago.

I could understand that if backups didn't work at all, but they do work if I stop/start the services.

Also have issues with some linux servers stopping at 90% untill I restart the services, logged a support call but they couldn't find a solution.  So we just restart the services via a cron job in the early hours of the morning.

Posted: 12-14-2010, 6:36 AM

Are we talking about servers with multiple nics and multiple IP adresses?

I have encountered problems with those servers. I had to check the NIC bindings or define Data Interface Pairs to make sure using the right nics.

Posted: 12-14-2010, 6:53 AM

Client, Media Agent & Tape Library all on the same server with One NIC.

Posted: 12-14-2010, 6:58 AM

Well, we can forget about the binding order of the nics...

I am afraid now, that I can help you just as much as Commvault Support. ;-)

Posted: 12-31-2010, 6:35 AM

Just a quick update, after getting nowhere I realised that this was one of our ealiest installs.

Galaxy v6.0 in fact and has since been updated twice to Simpana v8.0.

Completely uninstalled media agent and FS iDA, deconfigured library and deleted storage policy and re-installed from scratch.  Now working perfectly, possibly a coincidence but at least the issue is now resolved.  Thanks for all your ideas.

Posted: 01-03-2011, 8:26 PM

wow v6, old school :)

Good to hear you got it working.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of CommVault Systems, Inc. ("CommVault") and CommVault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, CommVault.
CommVault, CommVault and logo, the “CV” logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2014 CommVault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy