Multiple Linux File Recovery Enablers required?

Last post 05-31-2018, 7:47 AM by vpru. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Multiple Linux File Recovery Enablers required?
    Posted: 03-15-2018, 6:58 PM

Hi everyone, first post here!

I’m having a problem understanding the operation and best deployment for the Linux File Recovery Enabler in our environment.

We have slow WAN connections between 30 rural remote sites > datacentre so use a Windows Virtual Server VM and Windows Media Agent on each site to backup/restore VMware VM's locally. No backup/restore traffic is sent via the WAN.

Have a new requirement from our app team to provide guest file restores from their Linux servers, after looking at the doco and forums looks like I need to deploy a FRE to interpret the Linux file system.

My question is, does the restore traffic pass through the FRE during the backup or is it only used during file browsing etc? To keep main backup/restore traffic local to the site, do I need to deploy an instance of the FRE on each remote site? Or can I deploy a single instance at our datacentre with minimal WAN traffic?

Hope my understanding is correct so far, if I’m obviously missing something here please let me know!

Cheers,
    Dan

• Re: Multiple Linux File Recovery Enablers required?
    Posted: 05-31-2018, 7:47 AM

HI ,

FRE will not be used for backups.Only during restores FRE will be used for browsing the data.

Also you should deploy a FRE in each remote site.

-prudhvi

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy