7 years backup

Last post 03-26-2018, 11:04 AM by davidda. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 7 years backup
    Posted: 03-22-2018, 10:46 AM

hello to everyone,

i need to configure new SP for 7 years retention. i am going to backup the data full once a week and incremetal per day.

what is the best and correct  way to configure it ?(how many cycles?) i configured 2555 days and one cycle.

thnks 

david

• Re: 7 years backup
    Posted: 03-22-2018, 11:39 AM

Do you want to keep every backup for 7 years or only a weekly/monthly/yearly full?

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 03-23-2018, 2:12 AM

Hi Davidda

When you refer to configuring a new SP for 7 years, the following questions needs to be reviewed:

-Will the data be on the Primary or Secondary Copy?

-If this is a Secondary Copy, you will need decide on Synchronous or Selective Copy?

-Synchronous copy, will retain all data (Full, Incremental & Differential) based on Basic retention, and then you can also setup long-term retention for Fulls.

-Selective Copy, will only consist of Fulls (daily, weekly, monthly and etc), and at the same time you can also setup long-term retention depending on the type of Fulls. 

All of the above are considerations that needs to be taken into account when setting up your Storage Policy. 

Thank you 

Winston 

Posted: 03-25-2018, 8:23 AM

hi,

only the mounthly backups i need to save for 7 years and the daily backups for one mounth. (full per week ).

Posted: 03-26-2018, 3:40 AM

Based on your input I would implement something like this:

Basic retention:

7 days / 1 cycle

Extended retention:

weekly fulls 30 days

monthly fulls 2555 days

My personal preference would be, but I do not know what the reason is for your monthly backup retention to be 7 years:

Basic retention:

7 days / 1 cycle

Extended retention:

weekly fulls 30 days

monthly fulls 365 days

yearly fulls 2555 days

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 03-26-2018, 11:04 AM

thank you very much!!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy