Disaster Recovery Index/DDB

Last post 06-20-2018, 5:57 PM by Boberic. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Disaster Recovery Index/DDB
    Posted: 04-10-2018, 8:26 PM

At the end of this week I'll be doing a DR test with CommVault v11.  I've done 5 previous tests but this is my first with v11 and I still have some residual concerns over the v2 indexing.

My DR contract is for a cold site.  We have no access to it except during an actual disaster and during the annual test, so I can't replicate anything to it--everything must be carried in with backup tapes and USB drives, etc.

Nearly everything in my environment is backed up as a VM in using the virtual agent, but I do have some database servers where I back up to disk and then back those backup files up using a windows file system agent.  What do I need to do to prepare for that? 

Will the Aux Copies of my backup jobs be enough or will I need some collection of the Index Backups as well? 

• Re: Disaster Recovery Index/DDB
    Posted: 04-13-2018, 10:02 AM

HI Boberic,

right now the best way to deal with this is to ensure you keep 30+ days worth of indexbackups AUX copied to your DR site. 

Gary Seibak
    Technical Account Manager - Commvault
  • Re: Disaster Recovery Index/DDB
    Posted: 06-20-2018, 5:57 PM

Just to clarify, the index restores prior to browsing the tape copy of each job happened pretty much the same as previous versions.  

I did not need to do anything special with restoring the Index cache backup.  I'm not sure if that was because pretty much all my restores were from virtual agent based (i.e. I use VMware VMs rather than physical servers for everything) but at least things didn't get any harder than on V10. 

Additionally, the DR restore process for the CommCell is indeed easier on version 11 than on version 10.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy