Stub recall with multi-protocol shares

Last post 04-17-2018, 6:52 PM by jweier_elys. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Stub recall with multi-protocol shares
    Posted: 04-11-2018, 9:57 AM

Hi,

We have a filer that has the ability to serve a single share/export as both CIFS and NFS. We would like to be able to archive data on this share/export and leave stubs behind. However, in our testing we're unable to get the stub recall driver to work cross platform. What I mean by this is that the Linux driver can't recall a stub within a CIFS share and the Windows driver can't recall a stub within an NFS export. Both of them seem to just try to simply open the stub as a normal file as opposed to triggering a stub recall.

I was hoping that a "stub was a stub" and it wouldn't matter how it was stubbed (NFS vs. CIFS) and that the driver would just simply get triggered. It looks like I might be wrong?

Am I wrong in my experiments? If not, how are people handling this scenario?

Thanks!

-Jay

• Re: Stub recall with multi-protocol shares
    Posted: 04-11-2018, 10:53 AM

I realized that this post can be simplified and boiled down to the following two questions:

1. Should a Linux client be able to recall a stub from a CIFS share?
    2. Should a Windows client be able to recall a stub from an NFS share?
    -Jay
    Posted: 04-11-2018, 1:46 PM

Hi Jay,

Would we know which kind of filer in question here? In principal, with NETAPP fpolicy and celerra where we follow windows based archiving but recalls from NFS will work.

regards

Chitra

Posted: 04-11-2018, 2:18 PM

Well when this ultimately makes its way into production the filer will be an EMC Unity. However, in our testing we are just using a simple CIFS share via Windows and attempting to recall a stub using a Linux client accessing the share via CIFS. Instead of recalling the stub it simply opens the stub text file.

Posted: 04-17-2018, 6:52 PM

After further research and discovery it looks like this is the situation...recalling "cross-platform" stubs (i.e. NFS from Windows and CIFS from Unix) is only supported if you backup/archive using OnePass for your storage provider. At the moment there is no OnePass for Unity but it's supposedly under development. Also, when you use OnePass for your storage provider you get driverless recall.

So in the meantime my only archiving option is to use OnePass for Linux (for NFS exports) and the NAS pseudoclient for CIFS shares. Unfortunately, once they come out with OnePass for Unity it will be a PS engagement to migrate from OnePass for Linux & NAS pseudoclient for CIFS to OnePass for Unity.

Not what I wanted to hear but at least I have the answers now...

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy