what permissions are required to view failed items for a NAS / NDMP Backup ?

Last post 05-15-2018, 3:11 AM by johanningk. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • what permissions are required to view failed items for a NAS / NDMP Backup ?
    Posted: 05-09-2018, 3:44 AM

Hi Guys,

as far as I can see, my User has been granted access to a NAS Client.
    This includes data protection, browse & restore rights

but this user is not allowed to retrieve the failed items list auf his backup / restore jobs.

The error popping up states that he is missing the "browse" right on the "client". (no further hint what client).

investigating deeper I found, that the client in question is the MediaAgent !

I don't want this user to have access on the MediaAgent, but only to the clients associated to him.

Is there any way of getting the wanted "failed items" list, without granting the user browse rights to the MediaAgent(s) ?

regards
    Klaus

• Re: what permissions are required to view failed items for a NAS / NDMP Backup ?
    Posted: 05-09-2018, 7:32 AM

Due to NAS being a pseudoclient and needing a Media Agent to perform actions on the storage you cannot work around this. What you can do is create a media agent specific for NAS activities to address your concern regarding the main Media Agent

• Re: what permissions are required to view failed items for a NAS / NDMP Backup ?
    Posted: 05-09-2018, 3:34 PM

What version/service pack is the customer on?

Can you please send us the exact error they are seeing?

Posted: 05-11-2018, 3:19 AM

Hi mnp2844,

the environment is currently running on V11 SP10+

The User [myuser] has backup, browse, live browse and restore capabilties for the NAS client.
    The Error indicates, that the user is not allowed to browse the client :

"User [myuser] does not have the required capability [Bowse] for this client and this operation"

But the capability missing is: [Browse] for the Client Ressource of the MediaAgent used for the backup.

you can reproduce this very easy.
    and it is sufficient trying to list failed files for a backup job. You'll get the same error. Even in case there are no failed objects in the backup.

Posted: 05-11-2018, 3:34 AM

Hi Jos1982_NL,

so what you're trying to tell me:

Any user with "admin" priviledges for NAS clients, also needs special (Browse) permissions on the Client Ressource of the used MediaAgents ?

For all other activities, the user do not need to have any permissions / capabilties on the MediaAgents used in the environment.

We are using shared media agents to serve multiple customer environments.
    I don't want the users to get access to ressources they usually dont need to know of.

at least the user cannot modify the MA's ressource, but getting access to the FWs Summary Tab in the Network Settings of the Client Ressource of the MA gives him a far deeper inside to the clients and customer served by this MA. as I want them to get.

Posted: 05-14-2018, 11:24 AM

Hi johanningk,

I was able to reproduce this issue. I was able to confirm that the current behavior as of now is that the user will require additional "browse" permissions on the Media Agent used for backup to "view failed items". We are discussing this internally with dev on how to address this issue.

Posted: 05-15-2018, 3:11 AM

Hi mnp2844,

thanks for taking the challenge :)

will it be helpful to raise a ticket on this ?

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy